New shave soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, it is less than 24 hours old, but I am in love.

Sa, co, tallow and lanolin, with milk of the goat (I never know if it is goats milks or goat's milk) as 50% of the water and a superfat (post cook) of Shea butter, avocado oil and lanolin.

I don't think I need to use any aftershave after using this soap!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439828937.905154.jpg

Ok, EG, I have been pondering - for months - about the right shave soap recipe. If it is good enough for you, it is more than good enough for me :) I am going to try it. Would you be willing to be more specific on amounts? No need, of course, if you plan to sell, then you should save it and I will buy some from you!

I want this. I have a new safety razor I'm trying to muscle up the courage to learn to use.

That's lovely looking! My recipe sounds really similar, though I use jojoba instead of AO and use lard instead of tallow and do a 50/50 aloe/GM water sub. DH is of Scottish descent and has very course facial hair with sensitive skin that chaps/burns easily in the cold, dry air up here.

View attachment 15943

Take the plunge, nogud!

As for the recipe, it was based on the variations in the songwind, so around 50% sa, with the remainder split between co and tallow, more co than tallow. 15% extra glycerine added and no clay

First I have to translate your abbreviations then I have to make the soap. Then I have to not die. I'm only afraid of the dying part. The lather looks sumptuous.

Nogud, EG was referencing the sort of go-to shave soap thread here, it is really long (I am still only about 75% of the way through it b/c I keep stopping to take notes), but there is a lot of really great information in it. Also, SA is stearic acid. Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=34264

Thank you both. Very helpful. I guess I have some reading to do. (I act like its work but I love to read. )

I don't use razors and neither does my husband but that looks so good! I want some just to play in the lather. Would it be any good as a regular body soap?

nogud, save the abbreviations thread to your favourites and you'll have it when you need it.

nogud, save the abbreviations thread to your favourites and you'll have it when you need it.

I was mostly kidding. SA was the only one I didn't know. The sound of it doesn't make me think something that I would put in soap lol. I'm new.

J, some people have checked it out as body soap, but I don't think it really works that well for that purpose. I was going to make it for shaving my legs and for my more hirsute male friends :) A bunch of them are going to get shaving kits w/reasonably nice brushes and hand made shaving soap for Xmas whether they like it or not!

J, some people have checked it out as body soap, but I don't think it really works that well for that purpose. I was going to make it for shaving my legs and for my more hirsute male friends :) A bunch of them are going to get shaving kits w/reasonably nice brushes and hand made shaving soap for Xmas whether they like it or not!

*wants to be her male friend* ;)

Back