New shave soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope they like them, nogud! I am never sure what the latest, greatest things are for guys. I am not that au courant w/fashionable stuff, my friends are much more, so I just have to cross my fingers ....

"...a superfat (post cook) of Shea butter, avocado oil and lanolin..."

Gent -- What is your opinion about the avocado as part of your superfat? Do you think it adds more to the party than just a shea-lanolin superfat?

To be fair, I really don't know.

This time I made four batches -

One with milk and lanolin (forgot to mention that in the first post about ingredients!)

One with lanolin but just water

One with milk but no lanolin

One control batch

This way I hope to be able to see which ingredients are helping and which are not - it might be all in the lanolin, or just the milk or a mix of the two. So I'll do the same next time with superfat - one with no Shea, one with no avocado and see what they are like.

The original idea for it came from my Shea and avocado moisturizer

Oy! That was an ambitious experiment, Craig! I'd enjoy reading your thoughts about which you like best. I don't think I've heard of many people using milk in their shave soap recipes, so you may be paving the way for a whole new line of thinking on this type of soap. :razz:

The avocado just caught my eye in your description of your recipe. I perceive avocado as a thick oil with a lot of lubricity similar to high oleic sunflower or a good olive oil, but it has more of an exotic cachet than the other two. I can see why it would add to the moisturizing qualities and possibly the density of the lather.

Last edited:
Oy! That was an ambitious experiment, Craig! I'd enjoy reading your thoughts about which you like best. I don't think I've heard of many people using milk in their shave soap recipes, so you may be paving the way for a whole new line of thinking on this type of soap. :razz:

The avocado just caught my eye in your description of your recipe. I perceive avocado as a thick oil with a lot of lubricity similar to high oleic sunflower or a good olive oil, but it has more of an exotic cachet than the other two. I can see why it would add to the moisturizing qualities and possibly the density of the lather.

It's only as the SF, not in the recipe itself. That is a jolly interesting idea, though - more experiments coming! You enabler :D When I make these batches I try to have at least 2 options to compare. Was a bit of a handful making it though

Awesome looking shave soap TEG! Now I want to do more testing with other additives. I have lanolin I need to use.....Causing trouble as always! :p

It certainly seems worthwhile. I am really chuffed with it.

I'm really interesting to try lanolin as a SF, so far I've been using coco butter and quite like it. Craig, do you mind sharing what your SF % is? I never know how much to add.

That looks awesome!!

I need to have another go at a shave soap but not until I've read the super thread about them!

I used the lanolin batch with no milk last night - it wasn't as good, but it could have been me rather than the soap. The post shave feel just wasn't the same. I'll keep using a different one of the four in rotation for a few goes on each until I can start weeding some out, if that ever really comes.

I hope it's not in bad form to revive a thread that's been dormant for a couple of months, but I'm really curious to get a review now that you've had a bit more time with the different formulas. Has time made any improvements?

Edited to add words.

Thanks a bundle :)!!!! Now I'm going to have to tinker with the recipe I love and try it with goaty milk and avacado.

Love the sound of both. Mine is similar recipe but not as much lather. Thanks again EG.

I hope it's not in bad form to revive a thread that's been dormant for a couple of months, but I'm really curious to get a review now that you've had a bit more time with the different formulas. Has time made any improvements?

Edited to add words.

Well, after a few shaved I decided that the best option was the one with both, second was the milk only. I then combined the milk only and the lanolin only and gave it to a friend and since then I've been using the original - it is really the best I have used, but then it's the only shave soap with milk that I have used.

I've ordered up a batch of Haslinger with milk and lanolin, from the local apothecary, so I can compare it.

Latest posts

Back