New DIY mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I couldn't find a mold in the size I wanted so I bought a piece of coroplast and made my own.
For around $6 I got two 1 lb tall and skinny molds with enough left over for a odd sized slab mold.

This is my first time using one. The sides aren't 100% tight so I had to pour a bit thicker then normal. If I like the finished bar size, I might have custom silicone molds made.

z63FTdJ.jpg

jx5gOPV.jpg

I did the same thing with wood because the seller didn't understand what Coroplast was
I think this will be so much better to unmold than wood
I am curious how it will go and the result

Seems like a lot of people have no idea what coroplast is. The guy at home depot didn't know until I said its the stuff you make signs with.

So far, its working really well. I wasn't sure how it would take heat if the soap gelled but it's doing fine.
The FO I used was a heater, got hot enough the soap cracked and I had to pop it in the fridge.

I have wooden molds too but I got tired of lining them. I want something easier.

I'll update with pics when I unmold, cross your fingers it pops right out.

It worked really well. I got impatient and opened it last night, was still soft so some stuck but thats my fault.

I'm trying again with the other mold since this one isn't quite square on the bottom. I'll leave it to harden proper this time.

Attachments

• b7BQtnv.jpg
    b7BQtnv.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 45
  • JC1xKPC.jpg
    JC1xKPC.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 48
  • z0iZJuW.jpg
    z0iZJuW.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 44
Its only 5" long so no issue with bowing. The video instructions I found did mention sliding stiff wires down the channels in the sides. I need to figure something out for the slab I made, wire won't work for it since I folded it the wrong way, no channels on the sides.

I'm not sure what is meant by putting wire in the channels. Is that to help with bowing? Or so soap doesn't get down inside of it? When I made mine about 5 years ago or so, I just taped over the channels. I didn't have a problem with bowing at all and mine was 12 inches long. I did however get textured sides and bottoms due to the 'rivets' of the channels, so if you want smooth sides and bottoms you are going to have to plane them out.

Yes, its to help with bowing. I didn't do since it wasn't needed with my little molds.

I followed this video, he talks about the wires towards the end.

Latest posts

Back