Need basic lotion recipe. Here are my ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet T

Reaction score
I would like a basic recipe for a lotion base. I want to make about 32 ounces of an UNSCENTED lotion so I can add scent or whatever when I want something specific. I would like to keep it in a container for long term and use it as I am so inspired. Is that possible? I have only made a body butter once and it was nice but I would like something a bit thinner (not too thin). Also, I used coco butter which I LOVE but I don't necessarily want my lotion to always smell like chocolate. Orange butter might do the same...?
Here are the things that I have on hand. I can use all or some of them, whatever you suggest! I bought it all before I knew how to use it. I am like that....I get all excited when I start a project! haha

Coconut oil (not butter. Does this even go in lotion? haha. I use it for soap)
shea butter
avacado oil
jojoba oil
mango butter
beeswax
orange butter
vitamin E oil
glycerine
citric acid
stearic acid
germaben II

THANK YOU!!

Here is what I do for 100ml of lotion
8gm oil (can be any combination), 1gm aloe gel/glycerin, 4gm emulsifying wax (i used Cetearyl wheat Bran Glycosides), 60gm water (you can reduce to 50gm for less watery lotion), 5 drops of vit E oil, 0.5gm citric acid.

my formula did not require for preservatives. thus, please do take note that the shelf life will be much shorter than alot of products. you can read up on how to add in preservatives though.

as i use EO for fragrance, the shelf life is said to be 3 months. but personally, it is not advisable to keep that long though.

there is another thread discussing about not using preservatives. you may want to read it as well.

Last edited:
Convert in to %. Use the WSP percentage calculator, just google it. Thinner lotion you would use about 80% water and thicker like 70-75% Just take away 1% of an ingredient and use that 1% for a preservative (or the recommended usage per the manufacturer). If you want for long term you must use a preservative.

Okay so I would go with something like- 80% water, 10-15% oils/buttes, 4% (depending on thickness) stearic acid, 4% e-wax, 1% preservative.
Maybe like
80% water
5% Jojoba
4% Avo
4% mango butter
4% e-wax
4% stearic
1% preser.
Yes, this comes out to 98% but you can add the last 2% where you want. More oil or butter or water or?? But you get the basic idea. I hope this comes out right.
Also, have you read swiftcraftmonkey.com blog?

Back