My recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoozoo

Reaction score
I'm new in soap making
And I have :
Shea Butter
Cocoa Butter
Virgin coconut oil / refined (we do not have the types used for soap such as (76/92)
just refined
Virgin/refined olive oil
What are your suggestions for a simple and economical recipe for dry skin?
My suggestion
50% olive oil
35% shea butter
15% coconut oil
📍Note:
* We do not have the usual economic oils for soap, such as palm, palm kernel, etc
*I do not want to use animal fats
I appreciate your suggestions guys
📍Another note : “ for Alioop ” : I checked the writing as much as possible 👀

I used to make a recipe that was very similar to that. I really liked it on my skin, I felt very moisturized after showering. The bars didn't melt away too fast either, which was nice. But Mr. E hated it and wouldn't use it, and it did leave some friends feeling slimy. I did get some DOS on some bars with this recipe too, but that could've been environmental. The lather really lacked stability. I also was experimenting with high superfats too, so there's that too.

I agree with Kiwi, I'd experiment with getting the CO higher on yours.

this is my old recipe, but I don't suggest using it for the reasons stated above.

latest recipe.png

Last edited:
This looks good. I like 20% CO in my soap, but many others on here would agree with your 15%. They it and let us know what you think.
Do you prefer more to increase the foam?
I reduced the coconut so I could use it for my face..
I have a recipe that I already made a sample to try, completely coconut-free and with the addition of 10% castor, I found it foams beautifully.

I used to make a recipe that was very similar to that. I really liked it on my skin, I felt very moisturized after showering. The bars didn't melt away too fast either, which was nice. But Mr. E hated it and wouldn't use it, and it did leave some friends feeling slimy. I did get some DOS on some bars with this recipe too, but that could've been environmental. The lather really lacked stability. I also was experimenting with high superfats too, so there's that too.

I agree with Kiwi, I'd experiment with getting the CO higher on yours.

this is my old recipe, but I don't suggest using it for the reasons stated above.

View attachment 75765
actually
I made a sample a week ago without coconut and 10% castor
And super fats 8%
Almond oil 20%
Olive oil 25%
Shea butter 30%
Cocoa butter 15%
I think I have the same concerns about DOS appearing on it

Yes I prefer more lather, but for your face 15% is more than enough. Some people use lower, and as you've already said, you can get lather even without it. If you have castor I would try using 10% coconut and 5% castor. The castor will support the lather that the CO provides. I personally don't like high superfats - I tend more towards only 2 or 3 %, but again, for a facial soap it might be better to have higher superfat. Bear in mind that a higher superfat can be more prone to DOS.

Hi, 76/92 CO are just the ^cheapest^ versions. Nothing special other than that. I've never seen 92 degree CO on the shelf. At the store.

Using oils you've mentioned. Here is my take....
Olive oil 30%
Almond oil 15%
Coconut oil 20%
Shea butter 15%
Cocoa butter 15%
Castor oil 5%
3-5% superfat.
Maybe replace water. With Aloe Vera juice for your lye solution.

Using good quality ingredients, keeping things clean, storing properly. All reduce chances of dos. Good luck.

Yes I prefer more lather, but for your face 15% is more than enough. Some people use lower, and as you've already said, you can get lather even without it. If you have castor I would try using 10% coconut and 5% castor. The castor will support the lather that the CO provides. I personally don't like high superfats - I tend more towards only 2 or 3 %, but again, for a facial soap it might be better to have higher superfat. Bear in mind that a higher superfat can be more prone to DOS.
I made a soap containing 20% coconut, 5% castor, and 5% superfats to experiment, I wanted how my skin would handle it.
In fact, after the experiments, I want to sell my soap, so I will probably stick to super fats, 6% at most, for fear of DOS.
Thank you 🌷

Hi, 76/92 CO are just the ^cheapest^ versions. Nothing special other than that. I've never seen 92 degree CO on the shelf. At the store.

Using oils you've mentioned. Here is my take....
Olive oil 30%
Almond oil 15%
Coconut oil 20%
Shea butter 15%
Cocoa butter 15%
Castor oil 5%
3-5% superfat.
Maybe replace water. With Aloe Vera juice for your lye solution.

Using good quality ingredients, keeping things clean, storing properly. All reduce chances of dos. Good luck.
For me, I really like gentle soaps with super fats more than 5%, but because I want to sell my soap, I think I will probably leave it at 5% or 6%.
I will also try 10% coconut
Because I made 20% coconut soap
Thank you 🌷

Latest posts

Back