Need An Experts Opinion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
Ok - I have this new recipe (see below) that I first tried and added 1 tsp of sugar at trace, and full gel. The soap cracked large from either side of the log. Also faint soda ash.

I tried the same formula with only 2 tsp of sugar at trace and no gel - still the soap cracked. Smaller crack this time. No ash.

I tried a third time, no sugar, and no gel. Soap cracked, smaller than previous attempt. No Ash.

However, all three bars of soap are very soft, much more so than the bars rendered from my tried-and-true formula.

So my concern is - I want to use up this Babassu Oil I purchased, but I'm starting to think there might be something off with this formula.

Any suggestions?

2 Pound Formula:

Babassu Oil - 15.0 % (4.8 oz)
Castor Oil - 10.0 % (3.2 oz)
Coconut Oil - 5.0 % (1.6 oz)
Olive Oil - 25.0 % (8 oz)
Palm Kernel Oil - 10.0 % (3.2 oz)
Palm Oil - 30.0 % (9.6 oz)
Shea Butter - 5.0 % (1.6 oz)
Water - 12.2 oz
Lye - 4.5 oz
FO - 2 oz
1 gel-cap of Vitamin E
% water as Oils - 38
SuperFat/Discount - 5

It really looks pretty good to me. 10% castor, is plenty. Some use this much, but I rarely exceed 5 to 6%, and most of the time, since I use my sugar/salt solution, use only 2 to 3% castor.

Paul :wink:

Paul - what do you think about cutting back my water to 31-32%.

Would make the bars harder and speed up cure?

brian0523 said:
Paul - what do you think about cutting back my water to 31-32%.

Would make the bars harder and speed up cure?

I would. I'd try a 33% solution; 2parts water to 1 part lye. For this recipe, you might try a 30% solution, can't hurt. :wink: I like adding a little salt to harden my recipe also. That is why I boil down a simple syrup made with sugar and add salt and let simmer on a slow, rolling boil.

I'm working on your slab mold this weekend. I think you will enjoy that even more. No cracking, I can guarantee that. :wink:

Thanks! I will give the 30% a try tomorrow night and report back.

Well my next purchase is going to be Stearic Acid (sp?) to increase hardness.

LMAO - I'm sounding like one of those men's commercials!

I have one recipe that is very conditioning, and soft without SA. I use 4% stearic acid in it even with the goat milk, and the sugar/salt solution.

You may want to dissolve your sugar in your water before adding the lye. You might want to back off the babassu just because it takes very little to give what it gives. And, like Paul suggests, lower the castor to around 3%.
With the types of "hard" oils, this should be a very hard bar. I wouldn't think you'd need any stearic in it, imho.

Your formula looks great. Hardness comes in at 45 so it should be a hard bar. Like the others said, I would reduce the water.

I wonder why it is cracking though? If you didn't gel the third time, it shouldn't have been too hot. Soapmakers companion mentions cracks can occur if too much sodium hydroxide was used, if too much stirring occurs (more like a beating or whipping) or if the soap sets up too quickly. (I had to look it up :) ) Any of those sound possible?

As for castor, I use 5 - 10% without any problem with softness but I use about 33-36% water.

Good luck

cdwinsby said:
Your formula looks great. Hardness comes in at 45 so it should be a hard bar. Like the others said, I would reduce the water.

I wonder why it is cracking though? If you didn't gel the third time, it shouldn't have been too hot. Soapmakers companion mentions cracks can occur if too much sodium hydroxide was used, if too much stirring occurs (more like a beating or whipping) or if the soap sets up too quickly. (I had to look it up :) ) Any of those sound possible?

As for castor, I use 5 - 10% without any problem with softness but I use about 33-36% water.

Good luck

Perhaps it was too much stirring. I have a tendency to stir a lot in between stick blending. Maybe?

I'm going to try adjusting the formula a bit and report back tomorrow.

Hopefully it's something simple like that. Though I know I stir like a mad woman when I make soap but I only use a whisk. Guess you'll find out soon enough if the Soapmakers Companion book is right. The process of elimination seems to often be our only way of figuring it out.

Don't forget to take notes or you'll end up with the greatest soap ever and never be able to make it again!

Ok last night I made my fourth batch. Cut the water down to 30%. I tired to decrease the Castor Oil by 5% but when I added the extra 5% to any of the other oils it really messed with the numbers. So I kept the Oil Formulation the same.

Happy to report - NO CRACKS! Yea!

Worked like a charm!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I can't wait to try this bar and see how it compares to my others.

Latest posts

Back