Natural Powders for color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that the beet color won't stay in soap. The one time I tried, I mixed it with my FO and added it after it had cooled, and it still didn't stay. (I knew it was unlikely to stay pink, but just wanted to see for myself if it was the pH or lye.) The others will likely morph too.

Do not use red cabbage in soap, the color won't stay and it creates a horrible sulfur/rotten cabbage scent that does not go away with cure. Most blue/purple/red botanical are going to turn brown in soap.

There are exceptions. Madder root powder makes a nice pink, alkanet root a purply/greyish purple and indigo can make blue but its really touchy.

Charcoal for black, alkanet for purple, carrot for orange, annatto for yellow, Morrocan red clay for red as well :). Most botanicals are best used via oil infusions, some are better mixed with water first.

I was sure about the cabbage. I will not use that. In fact, I think I will stick to clays and herb powders that I know will work. Thanks for the feedback.:razz:

Hello Cuddlebugs,

I have used the following:
Turmeric Powder for Yellow
Paparika for Orange
Rose Clay for a Pinkish Color
Annatto Seed for Bright Orange
Cocoa Powder for Brown/Chocolate Color
Comfrey Leaf Green Color
Madder Root depending on how much you use you can get a pink to a red

Hope that helps :)

I infused olive oil with carrot powder and it gave me a very nice bright yellow soap. You might have better luck getting orange with annatto powder.

carrot for orange, is that a carrot powder?
I used carrot juice (steamed carrots blended with water and sieved), some use pureed carrots, like baby food, and theres other ways as well.

Yes paprika will make orange and turmeric a toasty orange as well.

You can also use carrot juice. I get some from walmart in the juice section and use it as a 100% water sub. The lye doesn't effect the color though it doesn't smell very nice.

Just be careful as the sugars in the carrots may cause overheating though I've never had that problem.

I have heard of people using carrot puree, or even just a jar of carrot baby food. I use beta carotene capsules. Not a powder, but natural.

Keep in mind the soap batter will not dissolve the capsule. Snip the end, squeeze and discard the capsule.

I used carrot juice (steamed carrots blended with water and sieved), some use pureed carrots, like baby food, and theres other ways as well.

Yes paprika will make orange and turmeric a toasty orange as well.
It seems I cant make turmeric turn orange, it always turns yellow with me. Paprika, how is that used? How many spoons per lb of oils:?:

It seems I cant make turmeric turn orange, it always turns yellow with me. Paprika, how is that used? How many spoons per lb of oils:?:
You know Im not sure - I think the best way might be to infuse the paprika in the oils first.

I've used paprika powder directly in soap batter. It makes a speckle-y orange color. The pic shows a salt bar with swirls of orange made with paprika. (The light speckles are the salt particles.) About 1 tsp ppo is about right. Be careful -- paprika particles are a bit rough, so if you don't want a scrubby soap, use with a light hand.

You can infuse paprika in any oil and get a non-speckled orange. (I have done this with annatto to get a yellow color, but not yet with paprika.) I'd infuse maybe 1 tablespoon of paprika powder in a cup (250 mL) of oil. Let stand for some days or gently warm the oil in a water bath for a few hours.

saltBarTexture.jpg

I use turmeric at probably 2-3 Tablespoons per 15 pound batch. Powdered, it's probably a heaping Tablespoon. (Sorry I am STILL in Texas and don't have my notes.)

I like turmeric because its a "mix directly in the soap batter" kinda colorant. I did this salt bar gradient with it, and never noticed scratchies
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back