My soaping lair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
Here's my soaping area. In my dark and dreary basement...but, I am happy that I can keep everything away from where my dogs can get into it!

The canning jars are my newest project-infusing natural colorants into the oil, without using heat.

PS: the floor is stained, nothing seems to get it out. I'm afraid of what the previous owners did ;)

P1020042.jpg

your soaping area is exactly in the spirit of arts & crafts - making do with what you have to make something beautiful. In fact, I dare say your area is so utilitarian as to be anti- consumer. (How dare you America, how dare you!) I love it. It's perfect. Thank you for sharing. :-D

About the floor, in my unprofessional professional forensic analysis, it's kind of scary... I think it's

wait for it.....

Nothing to worry about, whatever it is. :-D

I like your little corner, Liz :) have debated getting rid of some of my stuff to make room for my soaping supplies and maybe I could see about cleaning up some more in the kitchen (waits for other signs of the impending Apocalypse).

I love your dedicated space. Unfortunately, DH constantly complains that I have completely taken over the formal dining room. It's not like we ate in there! His fly-tying equipment has one small corner of the room complete with a fold-out workstation. I just happen to have the rest.

What's the black thing underneath the table on the right?

I was thinking of setting up in my basement but its too damp and spider-y

Your space looks amazing! My space is on wheels right now...I'm using a little kitchen cart and dragging it into the kitchen every time. Its a pain, especially since it keeps getting heavier and heavier with supplies!

I can see it being a pain physically to have more and more supplies, but think of all the goodies you have! I have completely taken over one drawer and under the sink in the kitchen and think I will be expanding out from there...

So nice that you have a soaping space.
I have a shelf in the breakfast room for curing and one for fragrance and color.
In the basement are oils and moulds and buckets and I carry it up to the kitchen.
I have a spare bedroom I could make into a soap room and might have to if I keep soap making at this rate.

Unfortunately, DH constantly complains that I have completely taken over the formal dining room. It's not like we ate in there!

LOL I have taken over ours too. We don't use it for anything else so why not :lol:

Liz, that's great. A little corner of peace and fun! My husband banned me from the kitchen and the pantry last year so I am down the basement, but had to expand into his workroom and now I use his pool table for my work table (covered).

I've debated whether to move to the basement or not, but I'm afraid it'll be too damp down there. It'e great that you have your own space to work in! It's nice not having to put your stuff away each time, isn't it?

I love your dedicated space. Unfortunately, DH constantly complains that I have completely taken over the formal dining room. It's not like we ate in there! His fly-tying equipment has one small corner of the room complete with a fold-out workstation. I just happen to have the rest.

What's the black thing underneath the table on the right?
It's a bucket with an iron stool in front of it.

I think any space where I don't have to drag stuff to and fro is great :) LovelyMalia, a roll around cart is actually a great idea! I have my stuff stacked in a tiny closet where the hot water tank is, lol. I have to drag it all out to the kitchen and then to the laundry room sink and back to the tiny room again!

very few homes in our area have basements.. we live in a desert and get flash floods. I wish I had a basement area for soaping in or any type of room with a door... a room all for me and my soaps. Actually.. why stop there, why not just a house or building all for me. Yes, this is my dream... lol

It is tempting, I have a room in my basement that I could easily turn into a soaping room, but lack of running water makes me hesitate. I would still need to be schelping everything back upstairs to the kitchen for clean up, AND I would have to get either a hot plate or a microwave for warming up my hard oils.

That said, that room is my dedicated crafting room, so there is a TON of stuff in it already

It is tempting, I have a room in my basement that I could easily turn into a soaping room, but lack of running water makes me hesitate. I would still need to be schelping everything back upstairs to the kitchen for clean up, AND I would have to get either a hot plate or a microwave for warming up my hard oils.

I still schlep everything upstairs too-I don't have a heating source other than my crock pot in the basement--a microwave is a great search idea at the next thrifting spree I go on! There's a utility tub next to my table, but I'm a horrible photographer and can't get everything into the picture. I also do my lye outside or in the garage when the weather is bad due to the fumes.

Shannon, I am lucky that I live in a very sandy-soil area. Our basement is bone dry. Before I moved to the northside of the state we lived in an area that regularly flooded and no one had basements for this reason. We had nothing but clay for soil and it was horrible! The downside to our sandy soil now is that I have to put a bunch of topsoil in our garden each year because it washes away easily.

My basement is also where my husband has his worm composer, which is very cool and it doesn't stink, but for the longest time he would leave his utensils on my soap table...Thankfully I have broken him from that habit!

Back