My oatmeal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SubLowe said:
why dont people like sharing recipes? i dont understand.

Because many people spend lots of $ and time experimenting to get the recipe to get it where they want it. I'm talking 1,000's of dollars and months & months to years of experimenting.
I would honestly never think to ask for someone's recipe. To me it's like asking Coca Cola for their recipe. It ain't going to happen.

Now I'm sure if you were to ask how to tweak a recipe that you already have, then we'll help.

Bluebirdmama ~ I love the look of your soap. I would have never thought to combine oatmeal and lemongrass.

I love how you cut your bars. Mine have been looking more like brownies.
I can't help it! Whenever I see something in a cake pan looking mold, my arm just has a will of it's own!

Genny said:
SubLowe said:
why dont people like sharing recipes? i dont understand.

Because many people spend lots of $ and time experimenting to get the recipe to get it where they want it. I'm talking 1,000's of dollars and months & months to years of experimenting.
I would honestly never think to ask for someone's recipe. To me it's like asking Coca Cola for their recipe. It ain't going to happen.

I will counter what you say, by saying that it would never occur to me to go on a public forum and post images of something I had done/made and then be unwilling to share. Only the extremely naive would expect to post something and it not garner some sort of interest in how it was done/made.

You've then got to ask what on earth was the point of making a posting such as this in the first place? Who exactly is it meant to benefit? How has anyone other than the OP benefited? If the answer to that is, as I suspect, nobody, then that kinda defeats the whole purpose of this sort of forum :-(

No, it can be of benefit... Someone mentioned that they never would have thought about oatmeal and lemongrass... Some people might see the oatmeal and decide that they want to try some in their soap. I took years of research to perfect my soap into what I wanted, and I'll be darned if I'm going to just up and give up my recipe in thirty seconds. People here are more than willing to help, but you need to do some legwork for yourself. Do some research on the oils out there, figure out what sounds good to you, then play around with those oils in the soap calculator until you find one that "clicks" in the ranges, and go with it.

This place has taught me a LOOOOOTTT about soap. This forum was a huge help when I was formulating my recipe, but you can't expect people to just hand you months/years worth of work and research, or get upset when nobody will.

If you want help, you can ask questions about it... Like, "about how much oatmeal did you use?" or something along those lines... But a ten second search of the forum would tell you how much oatmeal you can use in a soap recipe, and that ten seconds counts the time it'd take to read it...

Recipes

You've then got to ask what on earth was the point of making a posting such as this in the first place? Who exactly is it meant to benefit? How has anyone other than the OP benefited? If the answer to that is, as I suspect, nobody, then that kinda defeats the whole purpose of this sort of forum

Last I checked no one is making you come on this forum, there are plenty of resources on the WWW... if you don't like it don't come on here. **This reminds me of my students and their sense of entitlement... :roll: **

I have seen plenty of people help others with soaping issues... thanks much to the pictures that they have posted. DO the search for a recipe, there are a ton but don't put down others and their methods when the information is out there... you need to put in the work and find it.

Alright I am getting off my prego soapbox... I need to go a-soaping. :)

bettacreek said:
No, it can be of benefit... Someone mentioned that they never would have thought about oatmeal and lemongrass... Some people might see the oatmeal and decide that they want to try some in their soap. I took years of research to perfect my soap into what I wanted, and I'll be darned if I'm going to just up and give up my recipe in thirty seconds. People here are more than willing to help, but you need to do some legwork for yourself. Do some research on the oils out there, figure out what sounds good to you, then play around with those oils in the soap calculator until you find one that "clicks" in the ranges, and go with it.

This place has taught me a LOOOOOTTT about soap. This forum was a huge help when I was formulating my recipe, but you can't expect people to just hand you months/years worth of work and research, or get upset when nobody will.

If you want help, you can ask questions about it... Like, "about how much oatmeal did you use?" or something along those lines... But a ten second search of the forum would tell you how much oatmeal you can use in a soap recipe, and that ten seconds counts the time it'd take to read it...

yea but some people arent trying to "steal" the recipe and make money off it. some people make soap for the enjoyment of making soap and sharing it with friends, family, or perhaps a local farmers market or such. i highly doubt that a person who makes a few batches a month would take the persons business by selling the same product. Thats where marketing comes to play then i guess.

SubLowe said:
yea but some people arent trying to "steal" the recipe and make money off it. some people make soap for the enjoyment of making soap and sharing it with friends, family, or perhaps a local farmers market or such. i highly doubt that a person who makes a few batches a month would take the persons business by selling the same product. Thats where marketing comes to play then i guess.
You were told what the main parts of it was - lemongrass and oatmeal. Use a recipe that you're comfortable working with, use lemongrass fragrance at an appropriate level, grind up some oatmeal and add it at trace. Soaping shouldn't be about copying someone else's ideas, but rather taking what they've shown you they've done, and running with the idea, making it your own on the way.

For every person who isn't out to "steal" the recipe, as you put it, there are 100 more out there who will blindly just take the recipe, make it and sell it. When I find a formula that feels absolutely wonderful to me, it becomes a prized possession and I don't want to part with it.

You've already been told that asking for advice on a recipe is going to get you a lot more (and perhaps gentler) responses rather than flat out asking for the recipe. Take pride in coming up with something on your own, rather than arguing about whether or not you should be privy to something someone wants to keep private.

If you want something just for the sake of making soap and sharing it, then do a lard soap or one of those crisco soaps. Maybe throw some olive or soybean or whatever oils in there and try it. That's how I started. Tallow, heavy cream, soybean oil, etc. Just stuff I had around and what I gleaned from the deer we shot. Then you can expand on that.

If you want to share someone else's soap with family and friends, then PM the person and ask them if you can buy some of their soap...

bettacreek said:

Fair points, well made. :)

Back