My oatmeal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Recipes

I was merely pointing out that for me personally, I would not dream of posting images of something and then staying quiet.

I just like looking at what people have made and wouldn't ask for their recipe. I also do a oatmeal with lemongrass so its nice to see how others turn out :) .

This has been an interesting exchange of viewpoints. Everyone has a right to their opinion but let's keep it friendly, okay?

There are recipes posted here. If you're not sure about a recipe, please post it and ask people for help with tweaking it. :)

I always found that looking at the pics were a good way to get ideas from, not to duplicate. To me the whole point of making my soap and stuff from scratch is to make it unique, not like other people's.

Like Hazel said, the recipe section is a great place to look and ask for opinions on good ways to change it up if you want.

I've actually never been on a forum where members give out recipes or patterns of the products they show off when flat out asked. (I'm in at least 5 soap forums & 3 crochet forums).

Plus there are so many people that join forums just to copy down all the recipes they can find without ever contributing anything back. So that's another good reason that people don't post their recipes.

For every person who isn't out to "steal" the recipe, as you put it, there are 100 more out there who will blindly just take the recipe, make it and sell it. When I find a formula that feels absolutely wonderful to me, it becomes a prized possession and I don't want to part with it.

i guess i understand, its like a chef not wanting to give away his recipe. gotcha.

bettacreek said:
If you want something just for the sake of making soap and sharing it, then do a lard soap or one of those crisco soaps. Maybe throw some olive or soybean or whatever oils in there and try it. That's how I started. Tallow, heavy cream, soybean oil, etc. Just stuff I had around and what I gleaned from the deer we shot. Then you can expand on that.

If you want to share someone else's soap with family and friends, then PM the person and ask them if you can buy some of their soap...

i want to make quality soap too, i wouldnt just throw any ingredients together and give that to my friends or family. i care about what goes into and onto my and my daughters body, and if theres a better more nutritious way to take then thats the way i would personally go.
look i totally understand what everyone is saying, its your recipe, its another one of your babies that you have created and its your choice to share it or not. As a total newby though im just trying to get an idea of the oil percentages and types of oils people mix together and what kind of soap the combinations create, kwim?

I meant that to start, you should try a simple recipe. Get the whole making soap out of oil, water and lye down before venturing on. Makes it easier and can save you a lot of money.

bettacreek said:
I meant that to start, you should try a simple recipe. Get the whole making soap out of oil, water and lye down before venturing on. Makes it easier and can save you a lot of money.

I agree completely. Plus, you might be surprised at how nice a bar of soap can be just using simple basic oils and butters.

Latest posts

Back