“Making” colloidal oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a big box of organic oat flour to add in soaps. After some research I realised that colloidal oatmeal is oat ground up with the bran, the oat flour I’ve bought uses only the grain.
Since oat bran is available separately, mixing oat flour with oat bran should make colloidal oatmeal, right?
(I might have to grind down the bran to a finer powder and then mix it into the flour.)

No, colloidal oatmeal is soaked until it develops a muselage on top. The muselage is collected and dried then turned into a powder finer than anything we can do at home. Let's put it this way... it will disappear when added to water because it's so fine. Anything else is just oat flour. And remember not to mislabel anything. If you call it colloidal oatmeal and it isn't, the FDA could come after you.

No, colloidal oatmeal is soaked until it develops a muselage on top. The muselage is collected and dried then turned into a powder finer than anything we can do at home. Let's put it this way... it will disappear when added to water because it's so fine. Anything else is just oat flour. And remember not to mislabel anything. If you call it colloidal oatmeal and it isn't, the FDA could come after you.
Noted, thanks!

This was an interesting read too:

https://www.lisaliseblog.com/2017/0... a natural,light cream coloured, fine powder.

Just a note:
Even if it isn't colloidal, those fine oats can still be nice in your soap.
Absolutely! Fine ground oatmeal is nice in soaps.
But I have a request for specifically using colloidal oatmeal for their eczema-prone skin so dove into this rabbit hole :D
It's quite expensive and not readily available here.
Another option is to make oat milk, strain it very well, and use that for your batch liquid. To me, it gives a very similar feel to soaps made with colloidal oats, without any of the scratchiness associated with finely-ground oat flour. I have a few family members and friends with eczema and they like it a lot in a 100% lard bar with sugar dissolved in the oat milk (for increasing the lather) before adding the lye. :) Lard soap is extra gentle on the skin.

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind oatmeal soap is Not safe and soothing for everyone with eczema as some like to think. I always put a disclaimer and warning on my oatmeal soap to test on a small area before using full body. I for one am highly allergic to oatmeal soaks, lotions, and soaps with oatmeal. Although I can eat oatmeal.

Also, keep in mind oatmeal soap is Not safe and soothing for everyone with eczema as some like to think. I always put a disclaimer and warning on my oatmeal soap to test on a small area before using full body. I for one am highly allergic to oatmeal soaks, lotions, and soaps with oatmeal. Although I can eat oatmeal.
I'm glad you mentioned this because it's not a great ingredient for me (I have eczema, psoriasis and am subject to bouts of allergic dermatitis). I find soap recipes with olive oil & shea butter are very soothing, but I "treat" my skin issues topically with oil blends which includes OO/SB/Ostrich oil and a few others. Basically, I need a mildly cleansing, very conditioning recipe. Has your customer mentioned that colloidal oatmeal has worked in the past or is it a new thing to try?

I'm glad you mentioned this because it's not a great ingredient for me (I have eczema, psoriasis and am subject to bouts of allergic dermatitis). I find soap recipes with olive oil & shea butter are very soothing, but I "treat" my skin issues topically with oil blends which includes OO/SB/Ostrich oil and a few others. Basically, I need a mildly cleansing, very conditioning recipe. Has your customer mentioned that colloidal oatmeal has worked in the past or is it a new thing to try?
Of course, everyone’s skin chemistry is different and the same ingredient can affect different people differently.

Yes, the customer specified that they wanted colloidal and not regular oatmeal. Made a sample batch for them to test out and they gave the OK.

Back