My hubby making soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimHartley24

Reaction score
Hey! Today hubby and I had our first soap lesson together! I walked him through my favorite soap recipe but let him choose the color and the scents to add. We did it because he was having a hard time showing interest in my soap and understanding why I got excited over different things and he wanted to understand me more. :) He's so considerate :DDD

Here he is with his orange leather and tobacco scented soap cooking in the crock pot:

IMG_1098.jpg

Isn't it great to involve our men? My boyfriend was sorta the same way, but he likes to mix my lye water for me (he jokes its so I don't burn the house down) but I think secretly he's interested in what I'm up too! Hes definitely great to have helping me! And he even build me a soap box which amazes me cause hes not the builder sorta guy! Now if I could just be that interested in his Xbox! LOL

Nice! My husband hasn't been interested in helping me soap, but he'll give his opinions on the finished product and market it to his friends. And BTW, that orange, leather, and tobacco fragrance sounds SOOOO good! Did you create it or buy it?

Crafty men = hawt!

Tell me, where did you get your leather and tobacco fragrances?

I salute any dude that gets in the kitchen to do this stuff. All my friends and family look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I'm making soap! So seeing another one of my gender doing this, it makes me want to do a virtual high five to someone!

ironbrewer said:
I soap, but my wife has no interest in making it. She loves to use it though.

Ditto.

Funny that I grew up always thinking that soaping was more of a men's thing because my grandfather was the soaper in my family, and it was a by-product of his job as a butcher. Now that I'm coming back to the world of soaping as an adult (and with the internet), I find that it's VERY much the opposite. It's interesting being in such the drastic gender minority on a forum, very different vibe. Now I know what the women on Planet-9 and Rennlist must feel like! :wink:

Any guesses on the ratio around here?

:D This is so exciting having so many people respond to a post I made!! :DD Almost as exciting as when people like my soap!

The leather and tobacco are from wellingtonfragrance.com (am I allowed to post links out-of-site? I've been studying Etsy's policies for so long I cant remember!!) The tobacco is sweet, not acrid like a burning cigarette but more like a 100% tobacco cigar. The leather fragrance is pretty sharp smelling rather than warm. (Does that make sense? :O)

@American Valkyrie So sorry I didn't mean to be misleading! The soap's color is orange but We didn't add and orange scent in! I didn't even think about orange being... well also orange! heehee~ Hubs looked through my 100+ jars of 1/2 oz. FOs and pulled those two out. He doesn't have much of a nose for mixing scents so he pulled out the most "manly" ones he could find. (He was on the ropes with "Fresh Cut Grass" but decided against adding it in... lol!)

It's so funny you mentioned HIM being addicted, mandarin... just last night he said "I don't think you should be making all this soap... it's like you have an addiction or something!" I just laughed at him and told him "addicted" is what everyone says online :D

@ironbrewer & NewSoapGuy: Keep at it! It's amazing when a person of either gender falls in love and perfects a craft. My hubby was raised in a home where his mother did absolutely everything and his father... didn't, and it's been a struggle to get him to help me with cooking or laundry. Organizing, washing dishes, and vacuuming he'll do in a heartbeat but just those two!!! It's funny when I mention him cooking he gets a little nauseous looking :D

Happy soaping!

i've actually never mixed lye water myself! my boyfriend insists in doing it for me outside, so that i don't have to breathe in any fumes.
sometimes he helps me unmold particularly stubborn loaves.
and once i had him mix some pigment into a batch when my hands were full.

last week he told me he almost made a surprise batch for me when i was away, but he didn't because he didn't want me to be upset if he was better at making soap than me :roll:

I have my hubby cut my soaps, because he cuts them so nice and straight lol. He used to hover over me all the time, because of the lye, but now he leaves me alone which is nice. My very first batch years ago he made it mostly, because I was terrified of the lye.

Latest posts

Back