Just wanna share my dog Potato

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunnar, Kahless and I love your story. IMG_3187.JPG

Oh Potato is so lovely and so lucky to have found you! Such an adorable boy. It looks to me like he has some corgi in him.
Have a look at this heartwarming advertisement for a New Zealand company. Your story reminds me of this:

I also thought I saw some corgi in Potato, @KiwiMoose, in picture #5. @Anstarx, Potato looks like a very sweet dog who is adjusting quickly! In picture #2, the safe space looks like more than just a corner; it looks like it replicates the small caged environment Potato previously lived in. Dogs also like enclosed spaces where they feel safe, Which is why crates covered on the top sides and back with a blanket are preferred safe spaces for many dogs. It’s wonderful that potato has that space to retreat to and work her confidence up as she adjusts to her wonderful new home with you.

Our experience with adult rescues is that it takes at least a year for them to completely adjust, so you can expect to see new surprises emerging as your relationship grows. Our adult rescue from Spain, a Brittany we have now had for three years, is still developing new play behaviors. The Brittany we adopted from Texas in June doesn’t seem to really know how to play with toys, But in all other aspects seems to be well adjusted. We think he lived in a home before. The three Brittanys that were kennel dogs took much longer to open up and for us to see their personalities.

I am so glad you shared your joy over getting your new best friend! 💕🐕

I love this so much! My friend adopted a older dog from a puppy mill who did not know how to play. I think she was 6 at the time. Had never been out of her crate. She has learned and now tennis balls are her favorite thing ever! Potato is still young, he will learn so much with you. I can feel the happiness just looking at the photos. 🐾💕

New member and just read your post. Hopefully you and potato are doing very well. Blessings come in many forms and are often dogs!

Oh Potato is so lovely and so lucky to have found you! Such an adorable boy. It looks to me like he has some corgi in him.
Have a look at this heartwarming advertisement for a New Zealand company. Your story reminds me of this:

KiwiMoose Thank you for sharing the video!! It brought tears to my eyes! As a dog breeder and soaper (etc), the video echo's truth. Again, Thank you!

Attachments

• 4-28-2013 Sherry-kid-duchess-EXCELLENT.jpg
    4-28-2013 Sherry-kid-duchess-EXCELLENT.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 0
Hi just wanna share I rescued and adopted this Potato from a shut-down pet shop. Most of my friends and family aren't that interested in dogs but I really want to talk about him.

I didn't really plan to have any pet as I have a hard time taking care of myself (had to set alarm clocks all day long or I won't remember to eat or sleep), but my friend asked my if I could just help rescue and foster Potato for a week or two until her dogs got used to the rescue she's fostering atm. I said sure, worst case scenrio I just wipe my floor everyday for a little while. I work from home these days anyways and I'm just happy to help her.

So I went to the pet shop, found him cowering in a small cage. He's one year old and the owner said proudly that he had lived in a cage most of his life so I can just put him in a cage at home with no problem. He was absolutely terrified when the owner grabbed him and take him out, shaking like a leaf when I try to pet him. I took a cab home, had to hold onto him the whole time as the driver didn't want a dog on his car. However, I could feel his shaking got less and less the longer I hold on to him.
I got home, put him down, let him roam free in my apartment, and after a while he started hopping and jogging and wagging his tail.
View attachment 64207
Potato's first encounter with a mirror. He's still mesmerized by it today.
For the first few day he aboslutely refuse to come out of this corner of my living room other than to get food. He's happy when I went to pet him but will stay in the corner if I move away. I didn't have anything for dog so I gave him an old shirt as a bed. He was so excited and confused about the fabric, kept sniffing and exploring the sleeves and the collar. I felt he may never had anything so soft soft to step on before.
View attachment 64208
Potato and his safe corner.
I wasn't thinking about adoption until one week in. He had started coming out of his corner and following around, just glued to my side. He doesn't bark, doesn't mind me touching his tail or paws, snores while keeping his butt or head against my feet, pulls back his ears when happy, puts his chin on my lap when he wants pets and gives me puppy eyes, keep looking back to make sure I'm following him when walking, doesn't know how to play with balls and toys but will always chase me around, farts so much when he stole my powdered milk for baking, learned not to pull the leash too much and some simple command even though I didn't intentionally train him. I can't say what exactly tipped my scale, but I felt I'm just fell more in love with him everyday.
View attachment 64210
One clingy Potato

Potato is a mutt of unknown breed, which means it will be harder for him to get adopted where I live. People usually prefer purebreeds or mix of name breeds. The rescue organization who contacted my friend (who contacted me) said a lot of abandoned dogs were mutt like him, and many who adopted a mutt only to return them later. At one week mark, my friend asked me to fill in some info about Potato so the rescue group can start posting about him. It was then I finally made the decision and asked for an adption form instead.
View attachment 64213 View attachment 64214
Potato not understanding how balls and toys or beds work

So yeah, it's been two weeks since I filled and sent in the official adoption form, and I don't regret it one bit. He brought me more joy and love than I could provide him, and I just want to show appreciation to this good boy.
View attachment 64215
A sleepy Potato refuses to not touch me.
I am happy for you both! A match made in dog heaven!!

Hi just wanna share I rescued and adopted this Potato from a shut-down pet shop. Most of my friends and family aren't that interested in dogs but I really want to talk about him.

I didn't really plan to have any pet as I have a hard time taking care of myself (had to set alarm clocks all day long or I won't remember to eat or sleep), but my friend asked my if I could just help rescue and foster Potato for a week or two until her dogs got used to the rescue she's fostering atm. I said sure, worst case scenrio I just wipe my floor everyday for a little while. I work from home these days anyways and I'm just happy to help her.

So I went to the pet shop, found him cowering in a small cage. He's one year old and the owner said proudly that he had lived in a cage most of his life so I can just put him in a cage at home with no problem. He was absolutely terrified when the owner grabbed him and take him out, shaking like a leaf when I try to pet him. I took a cab home, had to hold onto him the whole time as the driver didn't want a dog on his car. However, I could feel his shaking got less and less the longer I hold on to him.
I got home, put him down, let him roam free in my apartment, and after a while he started hopping and jogging and wagging his tail.
View attachment 64207
For the first few day he aboslutely refuse to come out of this corner of my living room other than to get food. He's happy when I went to pet him but will stay in the corner if I move away. I didn't have anything for dog so I gave him an old shirt as a bed. He was so excited and confused about the fabric, kept sniffing and exploring the sleeves and the collar. I felt he may never had anything so soft soft to step on before.
View attachment 64208
I wasn't thinking about adoption until one week in. He had started coming out of his corner and following around, just glued to my side. He doesn't bark, doesn't mind me touching his tail or paws, snores while keeping his butt or head against my feet, pulls back his ears when happy, puts his chin on my lap when he wants pets and gives me puppy eyes, keep looking back to make sure I'm following him when walking, doesn't know how to play with balls and toys but will always chase me around, farts so much when he stole my powdered milk for baking, learned not to pull the leash too much and some simple command even though I didn't intentionally train him. I can't say what exactly tipped my scale, but I felt I'm just fell more in love with him everyday.
View attachment 64210
One clingy Potato

Potato is a mutt of unknown breed, which means it will be harder for him to get adopted where I live. People usually prefer purebreeds or mix of name breeds. The rescue organization who contacted my friend (who contacted me) said a lot of abandoned dogs were mutt like him, and many who adopted a mutt only to return them later. At one week mark, my friend asked me to fill in some info about Potato so the rescue group can start posting about him. It was then I finally made the decision and asked for an adption form instead.

So yeah, it's been two weeks since I filled and sent in the official adoption form, and I don't regret it one bit. He brought me more joy and love than I could provide him, and I just want to show appreciation to this good boy.
View attachment 64215

View attachment 64207
View attachment 64208
View attachment 64210
One clingy Potato

View attachment 64215
You two are a match made in heaven! Here’s my little girl - was on “the streets” for about a year before the Humane Society was able to rescue her. She is my sunshine (they named her Sesame - we call her “Sassy”)

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
@Anstarx thanks for sharing your adoption story with us! He’s a lucky boy - and you are lucky too, I think, to have such a sweet new companion. I bet you won’t need to use your alarm clocks so much any more; Potato will be getting you up for meals and walks!

Latest posts

Back