My first soap attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aromasue

Reaction score
Soap 006.jpg

Soap 007.jpg

Here is my first soap. I used lavender e/o and it must be green because of the olive oil. Not sure if I like the lavender buds on top though.

Not bad. I wouldn't have picked it out for lavender because of the green, but you could do this again and make it with any greeny scent you wanted. The lavender buds are fine, lots of people do it that way. How do you feel about your first shot?

Thanks Melstan, they smell great and are hardening well but as you said colour doesn't quite go with the aroma. Will be making more tomorrow and shall use another base oil and some colour. Also it seemed a bit thick when pouring, not like the tutorials I've watched. Any suggestions why that would be. Got to get a proper cutter as there are drag marks from the knife I used.

A thick pour might just mean a thicker trace. Some Fragrences cause a faster trace or maybe you just
Mixed it thicker then you realized. To avoid drag marks, cut soap on its side as it reduced drag from toppings.

It is very pretty! It looks loads better then my first attempt :) The color does not match the most, but who cares as long as it smells nice and works! The batch I made last night got a thicker trace then I wanted and it was a pain to pour. As for the lavender buds on top, I think they look nice and add a nice contrast.

Looks lovely! :smile: The lavender buds may eventually turn brown. The green (unless you put in green colorant) from the olive oil will mellow out as the soap cures and become more muted.

Did you use straight lavender EO? (Just trying to imagine how it smells) ...

They look lovely! Much nicer then my first FEW batches!

Next time you buy olive oil, try Sams Club (if you have one nearby). I get the jug of 100% Olive Oil ( not EVOO or anything fancy) and even my castille is off white with only the faintest green tint to it.

I think it looks wonderful! It doesn't matter if the scent matches the color IMO. Just as long as it smells GOOD!

Thank you guys, makes me feel a lot better, even though I was fairly pleased. Yes I used organic Cypriot Lavender e/o. I live in Cyprus and I buy my olive oil from a local in the village, again organic. I use it in my balms and other products.

Thinking of making a fruity one tomorrow, want to use Maychang as it always reminds me of sherbert lemons, just love the aroma. Thinking of using sweet almond instead of olive oil, what do you think?

Just so loving it

Thank you guys, makes me feel a lot better, even though I was fairly pleased. Yes I used organic Cypriot Lavender e/o. I live in Cyprus and I buy my olive oil from a local in the village, again organic. I use it in my balms and other products.

Thinking of making a fruity one tomorrow, want to use Maychang as it always reminds me of sherbert lemons, just love the aroma. Thinking of using sweet almond instead of olive oil, what do you think?

Just so loving it

Oh, I love local products - they make your soap so unique! :clap:
Why not both sweet almond oil and olive oil?

Sweet almond oil is nice. I use it a lot, but usually only at 10%. I soap with olive oil at anywhere from 30%-40% most of the time, though sometimes I use more.

Your first soap looks great! Much prettier than my first one did.

They are beautiful! I agree that the green will mellow a bit as they cure. Cutting them on thier side or upsidedown will prevent any scratches.

I love green and purple together, and really like your color combination (hoping your lavender buds don't turn brown, mine always do)!

A tip for avoiding drag marks from botanicals when you're cutting. Turn your loaf on its side to cut, usually works like a charm. Great job for your first outing :)

I just made a lavender-cucumber-sage soap and there's no purple in it, just green. It doesn't have to have purple to look/smell nice. Your first soap looks a HECK of a lot better than mine! Good job!

Latest posts

Back