Rocky Mountain soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing where in the same area. I don't no anyone around me that make soap lol.

Ive been using Costco for olive oil and I actually went there today having a look at things at the sunflower oil. Super cheap. No rice bran tho. The rice bran oil I got was from voyageur soap and candle . I did a big order a long time ago but never used it . Cant remember remember the pice .

Citric Acid . Please give more insight of this ? Im going to do some reading also. What are the benefits of it ?
@Mike E - Citric Acid turns to sodium citrate in soap - SC is a chelator that binds metal ions in hard water, and helps to reduce soap scum. As a side benefit, it can help to prevent DOS! It’s usually added at 1% -3% of oil weight.
If you add CA to your recipe, you need to increase the lye, by 6.24 grams for each 10 grams of CA.
As an alternative you can add Sodium Citrate to your soap, in which case you don’t need to adjust the lye. SC is pricier, I’ve found.

@Mike E - Citric Acid turns to sodium citrate in soap - SC is a chelator that binds metal ions in hard water, and helps to reduce soap scum. As a side benefit, it can help to prevent DOS! It’s usually added at 1% -3% of oil weight.
If you add CA to your recipe, you need to increase the lye, by 6.24 grams for each 10 grams of CA.
As an alternative you can add Sodium Citrate to your soap, in which case you don’t need to adjust the lye. SC is pricier, I’ve found.
Thats amazing information. Thank you . I think im going to order some up. Where do you get yours?

Im on the hunt for a good price to rice bran. When I find out ill let you no !

The recipe I’m currently playing with uses either high oleic safflower oil or high oleic sunflower oil. The reason for using the high oleic oil is to have a lower percentage of linoleic and linolenic fatty acids, which can turn rancid and cause dreaded orange spots (DOS). Sunflower oil sounds nice to people who are reading the oils. Safflower oil produces a beautiful white soap.

Can you get soy wax for a good price where you are? An alternative is to use any plant-based steric acid, which will give you a harder bar of soap when cured.

My current recipe uses 20% Shea butter, not exactly an inexpensive ingredient, but it sounds quite luxurious on the label and makes a good, sustainable, vegan soap.

After encouragement from SMF friends, I started adding sodium citrate to reduce soap scum. (Because it couldn’t hurt.). I find it easier than tinkering with the citric acid plus sodium hydroxide in my calculations. I also add sodium lactate to harden the bars faster, plus sorbitol to increase bubbles.

I looked at the Rocky Mountain Soap page. I couldn’t find their formula, but I think the one I use would make a great soap for your mother. Plug the numbers into a soap calculator and see what you think.

Recipe Oils, Fats and Waxes​

Custom Additives​

Add with the liquid
Sodium Lactate19 g19 g
Sodium Citrate19 g19 g
Sorbitol9.5 g9.5 g

Latest posts

Back