My first shaving soap is a success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a 100g batch back in mid August that's been curing ever since. As of today, its thickened to Silly Putty consistency but much stickier. I'm going to wait until mid January to see how it performs. I sampled some at the four week mark and it was great so I'm curious what a longer cure will do.

Wow that seems like a lot of time to thicken. I make mine and by the time it cools it's as hard as it will ever get (sort of like Cella, a touch harder). Is your's along the lines of the LASS recipe?

Wow that seems like a lot of time to thicken. I make mine and by the time it cools it's as hard as it will ever get (sort of like Cella, a touch harder). Is your's along the lines of the LASS recipe?
Yes exactly the recipe from that B and B thread.

Sorry, which recipe did you use? Is it listed anywhere in this thread, or can you please link to it on B&B?

I was under the impression that because of the high KOH in these that they are ready immediately and don't need the same cure as regular bar soaps (even tho I am sure they do improve with age).

lenarenee, you don't need a brush, I can work up a thick rich creamy lather with this stuff just using my hands that is better than commercial shave cream.

Sorry, which recipe did you use? Is it listed anywhere in this thread, or can you please link to it on B&B?

I was under the impression that because of the high KOH in these that they are ready immediately and don't need the same cure as regular bar soaps (even tho I am sure they do improve with age).

lenarenee, you don't need a brush, I can work up a thick rich creamy lather with this stuff just using my hands that is better than commercial shave cream.
I'm not sure if linking directly to another forum is against the rules, so here is the raw recipe from B and B I used (from page 5 of a thread called "Homemade shaving soap: an illustrated guide to a test batch"):

"118g stearic acid
109g coconut oil
114g water
49g lye
1.5 tbsp glycerin"

I made a 100g batch and adjusted the weights in proportion accordingly.

Since this is a Martin de Candre clone and MdC cures their soap for 5 months (correct me here), I want the same cure time. I did shave with the soap 48 hours after cooking and it was fine.

Ahhhh, okay yes I have seen that one. Thanks to you both.

I have made the basic recipe posted here, as well as a variation or two, and I am still tweaking it. I find it a bit drying, so trying to make it less so without sacrificing any of the qualities it has.

I use 50g glycerin PPO in a similar recipe. I also keep the water down to 33% and it's hard as soon as it cools.

They probably use more water for the process - which explains why they need (or think the need) 5 months curing.

I agree with Lee.

My curing soap was not as thick as it is now, after three months' cure.

I'm just thinking of CO and the type of bubbles it brings. Looking at making a 65/35 SA/CO one to see how it works - I don't think so much CO is used, but I might be wrong (it happens a lot!)

If they used so much water, I would think there would be a lot less scent after a 5 months cure than there is. Little things about it just don't sit right for me - I know soaping does not always make sense, but it's making me question the idea of a 50/50 split.

Efficacious, i came to the same conclusion before making this soap.

If they use full 38% water, it has to be at least 62% stearic, 38% CO to have CO = water and comply with the order in their ingredient list.

In the alternative, they could use more than 38% water and cook longer.

Hello!

Finally I have managed to give the SA 52%, CO 48% recipe a try: I melted the CO and SA separately, both in a jar inside a pot full of hot water (about 80 C); I added the KOH to the melted CO (still heat on), hand stirred for 10 minutes and as nothing hapenned I shifted to stir blended until thick trace;
at this point it seemed that the mixture was going to separate into the lye and oil but i continued stirring and turned into a short of whipped-cream mixture. I added then the SA and it became the "smash potato" texture, cooked it for 20 minutes, zap test and added the glycerin. To be honest, it was a nightmare to put them into the containers...the mixture was too solid...the result is ugly indeed...

So far it looks like the firts pictures posted by songwind, however I am starting to see some clogs, I do not know if I have done something wrong or it is just the mixture turning into the second pictures posted by songwind......lets see....

I will do the same recipe using the "commercial" stearic acid (stearic palmitic) and post if there is any difference between the batches.

Cheers

Vero

Hello!

My shaving soap has not changed its appereance, it is as white and hard as in the beginning....I will try tomorrow to conduct the same recipe but with the commercial stearine in order to see if the results are more alike yours....will post results!!

Cheers

Vero

It might be also that the recipe needed more water...I added 100% KOH in a concentration of 30%

Just trying to figure it out what I did wrong...

Vero

I would recommend using full water with this recipe, might help keep it softer. For those of you who have made songwinds original recipe, how does this soap leave your skin feeling? Is it drying or waxy at all? Has anyone tried adding a nice SF like coco butter or shea?

Well, sf should inhibit lather. Since lather is what is sought in a shaving soap, i wouldn't add much. Also, if there is more oil in the lather, it will kore likely be harder to rince off the razor and could clogg the head.

I did my take on this receipe, and wouldn't change it.

My husband and I both use the shave soap that's based on Songwind's recipe. I don't find it drying.

Coconut Oil 48.0%
Stearic Acid (commercial) 52.0%
80% to 100% KOH (balance is NaOH)
Water is just plain distilled water
3% superfat
extra glycerin added at 15% of the total fat weight (CO + stearic wt)

Back