My first commissions.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started sharing my soap with my sisters and sisters in law after making soap for several months. Then I gave soap to all my family and friends for Christmas. I had to give it away so I could make more. Then I started donating to church as silent auction baskets. Then some people started asking if they could purchase soap to give as gifts. I became uneasy because now my soap was being used by people I did not know. I know it is good soap. I have making soap for over 3 years and test all my soaps. But still uneasy. I really didn't want a business just a hobby. I ended up buying insurance to protect my self. I don't try to sell my soap but will sell it if asked. I don't sell enough to cover the cost of my insurance but it is enough that I'm not hurting too much. I think of it as just part of the cost of my hobby. I want this to be for pleasure and no pressure and I have told people at times that I just don't have the time right now to make soap. I'm good with how I've worked it out for me. I am a happy soaper.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou, you've brought up a great issue: insurance. I want to join the soap maker's guild and have insurance before I sell. I'd also like to attend a conference or two before I actually set up a business. Once I attend the conferences, I may decide not to set up a business after all. I also want to learn about herbs, botanicals and EOs. I contacted a lab a couple of weeks ago to find out how much it would cost to have my soap tested/evaluated so I could put the "out of pot" ingredients on my labels and totally skip the lye controversy. It is $7,000 per sample. My labels will clearly state my soap is made with sidium hydroxide.

I got my insurance from WSP when they started offering it.It was $250.00 a year. I don't think it is available in every state yet. I checked with my insurance agent and she said that was a very reasonable price and I really should protect myself even if I wasn't a business because you never know when someone might want to sue even if you are not at fault.

Mary Lou

Latest posts

Back