My Black "Test"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studioalamode

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to get some mica, or charcoal, or black oxide... but I was in the cake section of Wal-Mart and saw black paste food coloring, which I've heard can be used for soaps. It was only $1.47, so I thought it was worth the risk.

Here's the final result - I added some soap glitter, but the glitter didn't photograph very well. The soaps are really pretty. I used a rubber stamp inset. The soap base was olive oil and aloe and I scented it with Jasmine.

Pl3ease bath with it & report back if you had black bubbles or if it left a ring around your tub or turned your rag black, etc. I would be interested to know more.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing -- that I need to test them -- also I'm letting them "dry" for a day so they are not so slick looking. They looked better this morning. I did use some of the leftover on my hands and although it made black bubbles, my hands were not stained. (after I made them I remembered all the times I gave my kids Halloween cookies from the bakery with black icing and it turned their mouth and tongues... so I was worried!) I wish I would have thought to check the sink for residue! I will have to bathe with one and I will report back.

I really like these molds. I got them at Michaels. They are square with a beveled edge, then there is a set of six rubber stamps that fit perfectly inside the square in the middle - There's a leaf, a dandelion, a heart, "made with love" or something like that, a dragonfly, and the one I used for this. Here's another pic of soaps using the same mold and rubber stamps...(again, pic not so good)... plus I wrapped them before I thought to take a pic. These are milk and honey with nutmeg.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5176/j ... day067.jpg

Test results are in:

Black foam (not much foam because I used aloe and olive oil base)
No staining on body
No staining on cloth
No residue in tub

Yay!!

That is a gorgeous soap! I love the black... I'm thinking I need some licorice scent for it though. LOL The idea of using paste food coloring is great! If black doesn't stain, the other colors might not either. Yay!!

That looks so cool! A straight up black soap is so masculine looking... (of course minus any glitter/sparkles) lol

Aniseed Oil (I dont know whether you would call it an essential oil) would give it a yummilicious licorice smell - you only have to add a wee bit as well!

i used the same stuff in a batch of cpop and after the cook, it was candy cane red!

Those are some really beautiful soaps Janet. Congrats!!!!

Latest posts

Back