Most fragrances need 1 oz per pd oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I've never been able to really smell scents in cold process soap at .5. I'm always going to 1 oz per pd except for almond. But even almond does fade and so I've gone with .8 for it.

Sometimes you hear that higher temps will burn off the scent or gell will or certain clays can absorb it. I even do no-gell and have to have max scent. Dairy milk can change the scent but if it doesn't do that, I couldn't swear that it fades it.

I wish I knew what scents are enough at .5. Ones at some suppliers say to use that much but I don't or it will end up too light.

Last edited:
I agree. I usually use 1 oz. ppo also. I've tried using less but then I am disappointed that there is almost no scent. Some reviews on The Soap Scent Review Board will give the amount used that was successful, but I think a lot is personal preference. Trial and error I guess.

I use 1oz per lb as well. I have a hard time smelling scents. I used rosemary and pachouli for my mother a batch and couldn't smell anything but the "soap scent" yet she smelled it and was absolutely in heaven because she said all she could smell was the pachouli. I abhor the scent so I knew I wouldn't be a good tester. I made a citrus blend that I used probably more than 1 oz per lb on and my whole soaping area smells of citrus. It's marvelous (because I love citrus and fruit scents so much). I made a sandalwood scented batch and a coffee batch. I can't smell the scent in either but my mom can and she loves them all.

So this could also be your nose. That is what I am chalking it up to. The same way chefs taste buds start to disappear, perhaps the olfactory senses are dying out.

I don't think they're dying out because I can still smell bad smells just as much as ever. Maybe cold process is seriously hard on scents. I've gotten a few that were not strong in the bottle and didn't work out well at all in soap. People I've given my soaps to always go for the smell first and want it potent. If my soap is mint they want it to smell like a stick of freshly unwrapped Wrigley's. If it's lavender essential oil they seem to be pretty satisifed because it does stick. I did a Frankincense and Myrrh soap and nobody knew what it was. They'd never smelled the combination before and were like, okay... I wouldn't know either if I hadn't made the batch.

Last edited:
I always add 1 tsp of orris root to my fragrance and essential oils per 2 oz of scent. Blend it right in your oils that you add the scent to. It helps anchor the scent. When I forget to put it in, I can always tell after. I buy it from Camden Grey and I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly but I think it comes from the roots of Iris. Also, after my soaps have cured, I pack them in plastic shoe boxes with holes in them for breathing and put a little of the scent on a cotton ball and stick it in the box. Sometimes I think it revives the scent.

I always add 1 tsp of orris root to my fragrance and essential oils per 2 oz of scent. Blend it right in your oils that you add the scent to. It helps anchor the scent. When I forget to put it in, I can always tell after. I buy it from Camden Grey and I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly but I think it comes from the roots of Iris. Also, after my soaps have cured, I pack them in plastic shoe boxes with holes in them for breathing and put a little of the scent on a cotton ball and stick it in the box. Sometimes I think it revives the scent.

I'm going to try the orris root and see if that helps!

Have you seen this? http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/mas_assets/pdf/fragrtest.pdf
These are their results from their testing of FO in cp. some usage rates are as high as 5%, others are as low as 1%. they note the fo's that were strong/lasting.
I have had some trouble with certain FO's fading, but when using a new fo I start out with .5 per Lb I have seen cp soap for sale, gotten excited, sniffed the bars. Only to be disappointed by the level of fragrance.
When I think back to the days when I used commercial bars, their fragrance is typically very strong, perhaps it's unrealistic for me to expect cp to be like that?
I was noseing around on another forum that other day, they kept a running list of " FO's that Rock " in cp soap. I would assume that includes being strong/lasting?

Have you seen this? http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/mas_assets/pdf/fragrtest.pdf
These are their results from their testing of FO in cp. some usage rates are as high as 5%, others are as low as 1%. they note the fo's that were strong/lasting.
I have had some trouble with certain FO's fading, but when using a new fo I start out with .5 per Lb I have seen cp soap for sale, gotten excited, sniffed the bars. Only to be disappointed by the level of fragrance.
When I think back to the days when I used commercial bars, their fragrance is typically very strong, perhaps it's unrealistic for me to expect cp to be like that?
I was noseing around on another forum that other day, they kept a running list of " FO's that Rock " in cp soap. I would assume that includes being strong/lasting?

I haven't seen either one. Do you happen to have the info for the FO's that Rock?

Just wondering, aren't some people allergic to orris root or is that benzoin? I like it when reviews of a fragrance in soap are posted after the bars have cured and discolored and the scent has done all it can or will. Then you can know if it really rocks in cp or not.

Latest posts

Back