Molds - with or w/o oil finish?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the pros, and are there any cons, of having an oil finish on a wood mold? I assume the finish helps to protect the wood from drying out and makes cleanup easier. Does an oil finish hold up to CPOP?

Does anyone oil wood molds as part of a maintenance routine?

I haven’t oiled mine, but I do oil my wood chopping board, which is about 2” thick and I can see some splitting in the joints. I had not thought about oiling the mold but I may. I know the cutting board needs oiling with mineral oil, I always thought it was because it is washed often and to prevent water damage or some sort.

I like the oil for protecting the wood from water damage when cleaning.

But I don't like the oil because tape doesn't stick to it. Sometimes freezer paper needs to be taped over the gap between the silicone mold and the wood mold for a technique requiring a wall pour. This wouldn't be an issue if your silicone liner has a lip that goes over the edge of the wood, but mine doesn't have a lip. That means soap goes in between the silicone and wood during wall pours if I can't tape some freezer paper over it. I haven't tried vaseline to hold the paper, however, and if that did the trick, then I'd fall squarely in the "like the oil" camp.

Like above, I wipe mine with a damp or wet cloth depending on how much I have spilt. They are not oiled or treated in any way. If you are getting them wet enough for it to cause any issues, no amount of oiling will give it full protection anyway.

Are they marked by caustic soap spillages? Very much so. Does it matter? Not in the slightest

I'm not trying to protect the molds from water. I have wood bowls that are 40 and 50 years old that I oil periodically to prevent the wood from drying out too much and splitting. As a bonus, they are quite resistant to water (@AliOop I checked - tape doesn't stick to them ;)) . I am mostly wondering about how oiled wood reacts to CPOP.

I have no issues with "CPOP'ing" mine with heating pads in an insulated bag or box. I'm guessing that generates as much or more heat than a 170F oven left to cool overnight.

I have no issues with "CPOP'ing" mine with heating pads in an insulated bag or box. I'm guessing that generates as much or more heat than a 170F oven left to cool overnight.
Thanks, and actually, I mostly use a heating pad except when I’m in production mode and also need the oven. I think I will oil one mold and see how it goes.

Does anyone oil wood molds as part of a maintenance routine?
I line my wood molds with 4-ply Mylar.
They are made from White Birch plywood, 13 years old and remain unfinished, inside and out.
I am mostly wondering about how oiled wood reacts to CPOP.
I vaguely remember sticking them in a 170°F oven once. Lined but unoiled. Turned the oven off and left over night. No harm done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back