Mold Release ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWolf

Reaction score
What is best ? Synthetic or Vegtable Oil ? How about Cooking Spray ? Would it work? Thought about using vegtable oil or spray in my molds for bees wax candles. Bees Wax is already sticky enough on it's own and hard to get out of the mold. Don't want to spend alot of time especially with stuck candles. Seems like Veggie or cooking spray would make them stickier than normal................ Any ideas or preferences. Thanks Everyone !!

Pam works okay, but if you are going to go with a spray I would get a silicone spray. that's what I use, and the candle slides right out without any problems or troubles at all. You just have to make sure you don't get too much in the mold because then you will get pock marks.
HTH

Thanks for information. I am curious though....My mold is very narrow. 7/8 th of an inch wide and tapers. Any ideas on getting it in there. Thought I'd ask ! I Should have said something earlier. Thanks again for information...

Just spray it in there. Also if you add stearic to the wax, that could help a bit too, however I don't usually make candles using beeswax at high concentrations, so I don't know if adding the stearic would help any or not..

i wouldnt advise using ANYTHING synthetic... isnt that one of the main reasons to make B&B products?? ... cut out all the nasties that are used in mainstream products! ;)

IanT said:
i wouldnt advise using ANYTHING synthetic... isnt that one of the main reasons to make B&B products?? ... cut out all the nasties that are used in mainstream products! ;)

Not necessarily, and I personally don't believe that silicone spray is a "nasty" in candles - I wouldn't use it in B&B however...

But then again, I'm not a die hard purist either and use paraffin wax and use stearic in it - I dont' use beeswax for anything other than my luminaries, and I don't use stearic in that - or a mold for that matter, I use a balloon... That's why I said I wasn't sure how it would work...
For my molds I actually use a silicone spray and it works perfectly, doesn't leave behind any kind of scent and does not affect the burn in any way either.

jcandleattic said:
IanT said:

Not necessarily, and I personally don't believe that silicone spray is a "nasty" in candles - I wouldn't use it in B&B however...

But then again, I'm not a die hard purist either and use paraffin wax and use stearic in it - I dont' use beeswax for anything other than my luminaries, and I don't use stearic in that - or a mold for that matter, I use a balloon... That's why I said I wasn't sure how it would work...
For my molds I actually use a silicone spray and it works perfectly, doesn't leave behind any kind of scent and does not affect the burn in any way either.

lol yeaaaah im one of those purist types :)... thats why i got into making my own stuff... havent really attempted candles yet but it is something i would like to pick up eventually :)

LOL I didn't mean anything bad by saying that so I hope you didnt' take it that way, I just meant, that's not why I personally got into it. :)

Gray Wolf

Are you native, Grey Wolf?

I am pouring candles this evening, hubby has stomach flu and so now that he is down and quiet for a bit, I am doing some testing of some new FO's we have created and playing. I also make eo candles but not tonight.

If you are using silicon spray in the molds, I am sure your plan will work fine. Yes some folks use Pam, olive oil etc to season molds.

I taught aromatherapy and distributed eo's international in the 80' and 90's.
Started making eo/soy candles in the 80's. When soy wax was something few people even knew about.

When I started creating candles, folks in the eo and fo marketplace all had very strong opinions about what is good and what is not. Apparently folks still do.

I do not consider candles to be bath and body items. Even if they are include in gift sets. I do not make lotion candles, nor will I. IMHO it is fool hardy to do so. Yet I know some folks think they are wonderful. So be it. There are a couple of pending liability cases in the US. Tho I have learned thru the years lots of folks, make and sell products without insurance.

Personal I take no offense to what folks do in their craft or business.
I do appreciate your response and opinions of others.

Have a creative day,
Janet

No, Not a Native American...........
Just a guy who go interested in candlemaking through a historical standpoint. Got the stuff to start making Bees Wax Candles just can't get the time to do it. If I could make them and sell them..............That would be nice. With economy the way it is, I very seriously doubt that will happen.
Not sure what EO's and FO's are ?

Grey Wolf

Perhaps this will help:

Essential oils
Aromatic liquids extracted from flowers, grasses, fruits, leaves, roots, or trees. The oils maintain the odors and tastes, and thus the essence, of the plant they are extracted from. The extraction process would be distillation for flowers ie rose, lavender, mimosa etc.
Cold press distillation would be used in the case of Orange, Lime, grapefruit.
While solvent distillation would be use for extraction from resins like frankincense.

Fragrance Oils are Fragrance oil(s), also known as aroma oils, aromatic oils, and flavor oils, are blended synthetic aroma compounds or natural essential oils that are mixed with solvent, some manufacturer use filler with a carrier like vegetable oil or mineral oil.

Just as all soy wax is not created equal, not all fo's are created equal and that is why we see folks complaining about lack of scent throw with some of the fo's they are using.

Both eo's & fo's are used in perfumery, cosmetics, flavoring of food, and in candlemaking.

Eo's in candles have a strong scent when they are cold but once they are lite the oils do not have a strong scent throw. These are used in spa's often, for many folks with allergies, purist that want nothing synthetic in their products.
Please note there is a great deal of hype in the eo market also.

Beeswax is wonderful by it's self without scent, IMHO. I find my European customers are more inclined to use Eo's or FO's in beeswax candles than in the US. Beeswax has climbed in price like most other things because of the shortage of honey bees and a decline in wax availability.

My personal theory is do what you love, do it well and the money will follow.
:) Perhaps not right away.

I've never used any release oils/sprays. I just put the mold in ice water when I have a candle that's having separation anxiety.

Hey everyone ! Haven't been on this site is a long time............. Got notice that someone had posted so I thought I'd take a look. I totally forgot about this post. Life gets busy sometimes.
I finally got the chance to make the candles I wanted. I basically winged so to speak ! Made a few mistakes..............Biggest one was not dipping the wicks. Second I should have taken notes. I did use mold release when I made them. After pouring them into the mold I let them cool down till I could touch them. Put them in the frig to cool them down more and then I put them in the freezer. The slow process. Seem to work except I had alittle problem with getting them out.Didn't give myself enough wick to pull them out. Would like to make some more and try the natural or B&B. Whatever that means. Never finished the ends. They never burned like they were supposed to but they did pretty good for a first try.
000_0007.jpg
[/img]

Back