Micas & More going Full Times

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am totally stoked about this! Especially if she carries the True Lilac FO.

Just a note of caution: I tried the watermelon lemonade FO and it's mostly faded and still a week from cure. I used 1 oz PPO. Oh well, at least they're still cute cupcake soaps??

I don't buy her FO's, I get mine from NG so I can't say.
But I do buy ALL my Mica from her.

Her little pod cast thing on FB said that 2 and 4 oz bags will go up a smidge . I am not worried, her prices are GREAT !

So far the Watermelon Lemonade FO is the only one that has disappointed me. I only order them if I'm already ordering colors - which I need to do, I'm out of shimmer brown again. I have to add the Cool Water dupe to my cart too, I've had a number of requests for it again.

Well June Pre-buy is the last of any lower price I think. I don't think there is a lower price for FO's tho.

I only listened to 1/2 of her thingy.

The 2 and 4 ounce micas will go up a bit in price, but I don't think it will be by much. The FO prices won't change unless her cost changes. At least until her suppliers increase the cost to her. The way I understood it, the only prices that will change are the 2 and 4 ounce micas. I'm glad she is going full time. I will order from her more often.

Disappointing? How so? (Not asking to be snarky, but genuinely curious what didn't work out for you.)

I know she's phased out a few colors because you can make them by mixing two colors (she has a doc on the FB group that gives the ratios for mixing), and renamed a few - Peak Green is now Mint Green which kind of ticked me off because now I have two of the same color - and she's added some new colors.

I think the Black I have doens't mix as well as the others, but still good. And it could just be me ;)

I did find that if I mix them and let them sit a bit before either adding in the Lye or mixing into the batter, they mix better.

I was so sad when Nurture discontinued Wisteria Purple, and Cosmic Purple is the closest l have been able to find. It’s a beautiful deep violet.

I was so sad when Nurture discontinued Wisteria Purple, and Cosmic Purple is the closest l have been able to find. It’s a beautiful deep violet.

Yes, I would say Cosmic Purple has been the one I use most, and re-order more often. But I also really like the Powder Blue now, too and have been branching out to more and more of the colors so I don't get into a rut color-wise. I have to admit, most of my micas were Steph's when I started out. Then I took that color-mixing class that Carrie did at SoapCon and got a couple of sets of Nurture's Micas, so found that I like them, too. Now I even mix and match between them and have obtained some pretty results.

It is sad when any vendor discontinues a favorite product. That seems to happen way too often, IMO. Or maybe I've just lived long enough to see more than my fair share.

I am another that loves Wisteria Purple and will try the Cosmic Purple when I run out. Most of my mics have come from Steph and have never been disappointed in her micas. As for the black mica I have had no mixing problems with it and usually mix in some with my AC.

I too miss the Wisteria Purple. It was such a lovely color to work with. Another scent of hers that doesn't stick is the Blackberry Magnolia, at least not for me. I made the soap in February and it's barely there now by my nose anyway. I was really disappointed as it smells great OOB.

Poop! I just made a batch of cupcakes with the Blackberry Magnolia. It's all I can smell in the soap dungeon right now, so I wouldn't mind if it faded a bit, but I don't want it to fade completely! Grrr.... I might reach out to Steph and ask her about how long she tests the FO's for scent longevity. I'm not sure I've ever seen her comment on that, maybe her testing is just how it reacts during the soapmaking process. Or maybe she uses more FO (in which case not much savings).

Sometimes that get discontinued because they are having trouble getting it from their supplier because they have either d/c it or they can't get it regularly enough to be dependable.

Disappointing? How so? (Not asking to be snarky, but genuinely curious what didn't work out for you.)

I know she's phased out a few colors because you can make them by mixing two colors (she has a doc on the FB group that gives the ratios for mixing), and renamed a few - Peak Green is now Mint Green which kind of ticked me off because now I have two of the same color - and she's added some new colors.

Disappointed by how much more mica it took to achieve a good color. for comparison, my fave supplier gives recommendations for usage, and I rarely have to use beyond the lowest amount. M&M often took 3 or more times the rate I was used to. (And at the time my recipe was so white that I rarely used td)

Also disappointed by the number of samples that morphed and didn't recover.

@lenarenee she tests everything, so this surprises me. I think I started buying from her in 2016? or maybe even as recent as 2017 - and everything I have used has had a normal usage rate. She quite frequently posts videos when she is testing new colors / FO's - I know there has been at least one FO that did not perform well in her test video and she said she wouldn't carry it. If you purchased before those years, I would be willing to send you some samples of colors to try again - PM me if you're interested!

@lenarenee she tests everything, so this surprises me. I think I started buying from her in 2016? or maybe even as recent as 2017 - and everything I have used has had a normal usage rate. She quite frequently posts videos when she is testing new colors / FO's - I know there has been at least one FO that did not perform well in her test video and she said she wouldn't carry it. If you purchased before those years, I would be willing to send you some samples of colors to try again - PM me if you're interested!
I concur, not issue with the Micas, other then what I said before.
There are a tin if info about her stuff and usage rates.
Wonder what recipe it would morph in... must be the FO that does that ??

Latest posts

Back