Methods to speed/slow trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Assume you want to pour even layers in a mold. Is there a way to either speed the trace in the bottom layer or slow the trace in the upper ones to allow the bottom layer time to solidify. Water bath? Ice bath? Freezer?

You can use slower tracing fats and oils and soap at room temp. to slow trace. Hard oils for fats and pomace olive oil help to speed up trace.

I would use a slower tracing recipe and work with only one layer at a time. Don't color all your separated soap at once, instead color one layer and stick blend until thick then pour. repeat with the next layer until you are done. If the soap is separated at emulsion, it should stay thinner if not over blended.

You might be able to use the fridge between layers to help set up even quicker.

That's what I do. Also, just simply covering your mold with a piece of cardboard or something while you color and scent the next layer helps form that "crust" (for lack of a better word), so you can spoon your next layer in. Don't pour the next layer directly, I almost always use a spoon and lay down a layer of soap. If I feel it's set up enough, I'll pour the rest of the layer over the back of the spoon to prevent any breakthrough also. If I'm worried about break through, I'll just use a spoon to "pour" the entire layer. It takes awhile in big molds, lol, but it's worth it for those pretty layers.

I would use a slower tracing recipe and work with only one layer at a time. Don't color all your separated soap at once, instead color one layer and stick blend until thick then pour. repeat with the next layer until you are done. If the soap is separated at emulsion, it should stay thinner if not over blended.

You might be able to use the fridge between layers to help set up even quicker.

^
this

SB till emulsion only, and start separating your layers. do one layer, SB till mid trace, pour, put in freezer while you're doing the next layer. repeat till done.

when you're pouring the next layer, it helps to pour it over a spoon or spatula, so as not to disturb the layer beneath it with too much pressure. it should be pretty even and neat layers this way.

Everyone's suggestions seem right on the money. Something I picked up from M&P/cake baking that would apply to CP... After pouring your layer, run a stick/knife/dowel rod along the mold edges to remove any excess that creeps up the sides. It lakes your layers look crisp when cut. Otherwise they can get a little swooped up looking on the sides.

I have used a slow tracing recipe with a mild accelerating fo. Mix up each layer separately from the main batch scenting right before pouring. Then move to the next. By the time you are ready to pour the next layer it should be set up fine. My favorite fo for this method is bbs crisp anjou pear.

Latest posts

Back