Metal strainer fizzed on contact with lye solution?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPunch

Reaction score
My old strainer was looking worn and old so i picked up a cheap one from walmart today, making sure it said stainless steel. Strained it through just a few moments ago and the strainer released an audiable fizzing sound....i'm guessing the lable was inaccurate or something and it contains some amount of aluminum.

Think i should throw the solution out and mix up a new one to run through my trusty old strainer?

Did the strainer go black ? if it did, it probably had aluminum in it. I would make up another batch, just to be sure and use your old strainer.

Did the strainer go black ? if it did, it probably had aluminum in it. I would make up another batch, just to be sure and use your old strainer.

It didn't go black ,but to be fair, I got that sucker runing under water pretty quickly after the mixture was poured in it.

Grumble grumble, don't trust walmart labeling I guess. :(

.................. If it doesn't, I leave it in the store.

I have images of distraught utensils crying out after you "Don't leave me here! Please, I...I can be useful! Maybe not for soaping, but for something. Take me with you." Then Susie turns around and whispers "I have no use for you." before turning and walking away, leaving the utensils sobbing on the shelf.

I bought a slotted spoon from the dollar store that said stainless steel on it. I was so happy and confident that I could use it to stir up my soap batter when stick blending wasn't an option. I got home, looked at the lable, and in very very small print under stainless steel, it said " on handle". :(

Stainless steel isn't always magnetic. You may be doing injustice to some perfectly fine stainless steel strainers, that were really hoping to become part of your soaping equipment.

Ditto that. Not a single one of my good stainless steel strainers is magnetic....well at least not the actual mesh strainer part anyway (only the rims and handles are magnetic). I'm able to strain my 50% solution through them perfectly fine without a single issue.

For what it's worth, the above strainers that I use for soaping were purchased from Mountain Rose Herbs (I have both their 3" and their 4" strainers), and also a company (Vitality Plus) that sells replacement parts for my juicer.

IrishLass :)

This has long been my thought, that you get better quality equipment when you go to a soaping site. But I get eaten up by shipping, so I stick to buying local. This leaves me at the mercy of Walmart and dollar stores. I will keep on using my magnet when buying cheaper stuff.

Back