Merlot & Rice milk... Experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerlandSoaps

Reaction score
Ok, so today I decided to make a wine soap for the first time! I had gotten a bottle of Merlot from a bride that I made soap for for. I made 150 rose soaps for her as wedding favors and she gifted me a bottle of wine. Well I'm not a red wine gal, I like white wines.. So I opened the bottle the other night and drank about half the bottle. So I was left with half a bottle. Then it hit me... WINE SOAP!!!

I have never made wine soap before, but I decided to give it a go. I boiled down about 2 cups of wine to a reduction. I ended up with 5 ounces of concentrate.

I have also been wanting to make soap with rice-milk. So after I mixed my lye with a little water, I added the rice-milk and let it cool down. I soaped as usual, adding the wine syrup at trace.

So far so good. It's a rusty brown color, but the FO I used was sandalwood/vanilla so the color is actually perfect for it! I don't know if it will continue to morph, but I like the color it is now. I'll post pics later after I clean up.

Oh and btw I used a blend of tallow, olive and pko.

I'd like to see pics, too. How interesting that you decided to try rice milk combined with wine. I'm curious on how it will turn out. I made my first wine soap batch a couple of weeks ago and I'm impatiently waiting for it to cure. :lol:

I had thought about adding a small amount of cream to it. Then decided not to since I hadn't used wine before and I wasn't sure what to expect. You're certainly braver than I am.

I was so excited this morning to unmold my creation! It looked very nice, dark brownish/red....

I was suprised to find that when it was cut it revealed a creamy, peanut butter colored soap with just a thin layer of the wine/brown.

More suprising was the un-gelled guest loaf. It's a light creamy color, like tahini.

Here they are cut, and side by side...

Overall, they turned out great.. the colors work with the scent! Sandalwood, Carnation and vanilla...

After it cures I'll post pics again

Ok, interesting development....

It's only been about 3 hours since I cut the soap and it is now ALL the outer color. The middle went from creamy peanut butter color to dark brownish red... I love it!!!

I'll post pics in a bit!

They look great. Congrats! I have had that color change happen many times, though not necessarily so fast. I've noticed that certain fragrance oils that discolor, will only do so once they hit the air. For example, I cut one bar of soap that had experienced that color change and the inside of the freshly cut bar was STILL that original light color. Within a few days, it too had transformed to the darker color. Cool science!

COffee does the same morphing for me - fresh cut, its dark brown on the outside and peanut butter in the middle but overtime, it all darkens.

Very pretty!

Bukawww said:
COffee does the same morphing for me - fresh cut, its dark brown on the outside and peanut butter in the middle but overtime, it all darkens.

Very pretty!

Do you get soap ash with your coffee soaps? I noticed this batch has a light "dusting" of it on the edges... know how I can prevent more from forming?

Back