Men's FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second Shave & a hair cut from BB! I got a sample and its next on my list. I made a sample batch and it smells divine, soaps well!

Hubby and daughter's boyfriend approve of:

BB's Shave and Haircut
Daystar's Ahoy Matey
WSP's Bamboo Lotus - made B&B with this one, not soap
Mad Oil's Snow Witch - Neither will admit it, but they used it very often (I surreptitiously check on who is using what). Maybe it was the name that kept them from gushing about it...

Seven- where do you get your Cool Citrus Basil? I love the original, but the one I got from WSP is kind of 'meh'. Thanks!

it was from a local supplier here in indonesia. but i believed their FOs came from NG.

Without a doubt, Stonehenge from BCN. It's been #1 with men for 5 yrs. Stonehenge is an Archipelago scent.

This Christmas I made a shave soap scented with WSP's Tobacco Caramel and I really really enjoy that scent. I also have some mint FO for a yet-to-be-made batch of mentholated mint shave soap.

Bay Rum is a great scent but there is some variation within that scent - for example Pinaud Bay Rum aftershave smells a bit "cheap but Mystic Waters Bay Rum shave soap smells excellent.

Another great scent is Pinaud Clubman (the yellow aftershave lotion as well as the talcum powder) - for many men this scent has a strong association with the barber shop when they were kids. If I could find something like this in an FO I'd snap it up in no time flat and put it in every kind of soap I could think of.

Many gents also enjoy lavender (I like Yardley's version).

I'm interested in trying a lime-scented shave soap. And almond.

For those of you that are curious you might want to spend some time on the Badger&Blade or Shave My Face forums for more insight.

-Dave

I made a soap with an FO from Fragrance Laboratory named 'Prime'. It's an awesome manly man scent, I really like it. I've purchased one called Southern Gentlemen from a Facebook vendor, I'm hoping that'll be a winner also.

Dave, there's a Clubman FO. From Nature With Love carries it under the name "Pinaud (Type)." I've never used it, but it turned up recently as a scent from a well-known artisan shave soap producer/vendor. Just in case you wanted to order it, though, it is out there.

FWIW, I think the wetshaver dudes are more open to fragrance variety than the general male populace, which is a shame. Anything goes these days in the wetshaving market, including bananas and Fruit Loops, and I think that's a good thing, even if I don't love those kinds of scents.

In general, I think there are some great suggestions here to appeal to male clientele and just want to add a couple from Soapalooza - Big Sur and Adirondack are two different woody forest scents, either of which I can see appealing to a lot of guys. Very outdoorsy vibe. For the less rustic male audience, I think citrus and clean musk will probably always go over pretty well.

Dave, there's a Clubman FO. From Nature With Love carries it under the name "Pinaud (Type)." I've never used it, but it turned up recently as a scent from a well-known artisan shave soap producer/vendor. Just in case you wanted to order it, though, it is out there.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll order some and pop it into the next shave soap.

It's "Pinaud Type II" on that particular website.

-Dave

Last edited:
My best selling shave soaps are Perfect Man & Teakwood & Cardamom from NG, Bay Rum from WSP and a Citrus Blend (mostly lime EO).

I love Perfect Man and Teakwood & Cardamom. Have you tried them in a beer soap? I'm still debating on which fragrance to use for my first boozy soap attempt...

I love Perfect Man and Teakwood & Cardamom. Have you tried them in a beer soap? I'm still debating on which fragrance to use for my first boozy soap attempt...

Yes, and it' hasn't been a problem with scent morphing. I've used Perfect Man (my husbands 2nd favorite scent). But it's also a pretty strong fragrance. My #1 top seller in soap.

Back