Men or Women

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmoose

Reaction score
Here is a question I meant to post here a few months ago but I forgot. I was selling at a craft show and there was one other soaper there. A very nice lady who had a fantastic set up and great product. We had a good time talking soap. At one point I said to her that I was in trouble because her booth was 4 spots ahead of mine so she had an advantage. And then she said but you have an advantage over me for sales. I asked her what she meant and she said We are selling to almost all women and you are a man doing the selling. I had never thought of that. Whats your opinion? Do either men or women have an advantage over the other selling soap?

Bruce

I guess there is something sexy about a man selling soap. It's kind of like a man pushing a stroller. You are so used to seeing a woman w/ children & cooking & making soap that it does get your attention.

That being said I would be no more inclined to buy from one gender over the other.

If I had skin issues & needed a special soap, I would not share my issues as easily w/ a male soap maker.

Bigmoose -- I've wondered the same thing! I think as men selling soap, we might add a unique, unexpected dimension and presence to the "industry".

I also think men tend to create different kinds of soaps than women, at least to some degree. Our creative ideas come from different perspectives.

Tabitha said:
I guess there is something sexy about a man selling soap. It's kind of like a man pushing a stroller. You are so used to seeing a woman w/ children & cooking & making soap that it does get your attention.

That being said I would be no more inclined to buy from one gender over the other.

If I had skin issues & needed a special soap, I would not share my issues as easily w/ a male soap maker.

Yup!

Maybe a man seeing a man selling soap might take the whole hand-made soap thing more seriously or at least get his attention. Maybe a lumberjack get-up to sell at the markets? :wink: :lol: :shock:

Back