Mechanic's Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First and foremost, THANK YOU BAMAGIRL for freely posting your recipe. Everything went fine with a small batch. With so much lard I knew trace would be a while so I used the SB until it finally began to thicken up then switched to a spoon when I added the pumice. I like cpop and usually keep the log in the oven for a couple of hours, remove and insulate with towels. This time there was no line to use the oven so I left it there all night. It was still very warm this morning when removed. I'll test it in a couple of weeks and then take some to the bicycle shops for field tests after 6 weeks or more. It cut easily and is now on the aging hearth which is getting crowded. That will be corrected before long as my oldest is moving out next week and the lovely hand model will be following soon. Looks as if suffering empty nest syndrome is imminent.
Titanium dioxide was added, otherwise I followed the recipe to the letter. The immediate feel of the bars is a bit smooth and think it may need more pumice or coarser or both. That will be revealed with use. I have no experience with this soap so can't really say at this point. Curing could change everything.
My mini mixer died a while back so I had the chance to use the new frother I found. The mini mixer would have lasted forever if I hadn't left the batteries in it out in the hot garage for a number of years. It was a gem.
The frother worked great and was cheeeeep. Will it last? Time will tell.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that the scented kerosene used was Country Peddler, amber cinnamon. It was old so the scent was more kerosene and less amber cinnamon. The smell of the kerosene has already faded a good bit.
IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back