May Challenge (Mica Outline Swirl)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think they opened the entry thread as yet.

I did not submit this entry as I didn't take a picture of the mica on batter. Not sure If I like it or the use of the darker colors but wanted to show you how it looks in comparison to the lighter one I did submit in the entry thread. This was 3 different mica layers Yellow, Orange and black and 3 different batter colors of the same. I just alternated the colors ( ex: Black batter, orange mica - Yellow Batter, Orange Mica etc ) twice then a hanger swirl. Its obviously very different using darker colors and in my mind the jury is still out on it. What I did like is how the black mica line outlined the orange and the yellow. I like the one I did submit in the entry thread however.
IMG_1277.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not submit this entry as I didn't take a picture of the mica on batter. Not sure If I like it or the use of the darker colors but wanted to show you how it looks in comparison to the lighter one I did submit in the entry thread. This was 3 different mica layers Yellow, Orange and black and 3 different batter colors of the same. I just alternated the colors ( ex: Black batter, orange mica - Yellow Batter, Orange Mica etc ) twice then a hanger swirl. Its obviously very different using darker colors and in my mind the jury is still out on it. I like the one I did submit in the entry thread however. View attachment 30347
Ooh, it looks like a monarch butterfly!

Very lovely @redhead1226 ! I can't wait to get to the entry thread to see what you did enter!

Also... sorry, I knew I needed to post the link for the thread here. I seriously need to stop trying to multi-task, 'cuz I can't.
Entry thread is open here.

Mommycarlson, lovely entry. Funny thing, your backdrop looks exactly like two of my MIL's former table cloths. I use them as couch throws or similar, but she used them as table cloths. She had them in two different colors schemes.

Oh my goodness... I don't envy you guys that have to vote! All of the entries so far are lovely - the rainbow one, the karma... all of them are turning out amazing. I am so glad that some of you are enjoying this technique. It is becoming one of my favorites too.

I had three more attempts last night ... will see if I make it in time to cut, maybe not. But regardless I'm keen to see how they will turn out!

I am getting the knack of it a little more I think and I've realised you can actually spread the mica oil layer out with the back of a spoon carefully which was a bit of an epiphany. I've also realised I can keep adding a bit more oil to the mica pot and use it for a lot longer (multiple layers and batches)

I'm not sure how often I'll use the technique itself, may depend how these ones turn out but I've also been doing a mica drizzle on top which looks really great and I suspect I'll do some more of that for sure

@mommycarlson stunning entry! I love the colors. Well done!

Mommycarlson, lovely entry. Funny thing, your backdrop looks exactly like two of my MIL's former table cloths. I use them as couch throws or similar, but she used them as table cloths. She had them in two different colors schemes.

Thank you both!

earlene, my daughter has a loom :) she wove that blanket for her 3rd child (My 7th grandchild). I have sort of adopted the blanket and held it hostage until she makes one for me to use as my soap backdrop! She is pictured with me in my profile pic :) She's the 3rd in line of my 4 children and has recently taken up cycling with me!

Unfortunately I have to bow out of the challenge. I didn't have time to create my soaps :(

I did not submit this entry as I didn't take a picture of the mica on batter. Not sure If I like it or the use of the darker colors but wanted to show you how it looks in comparison to the lighter one I did submit in the entry thread. This was 3 different mica layers Yellow, Orange and black and 3 different batter colors of the same. I just alternated the colors ( ex: Black batter, orange mica - Yellow Batter, Orange Mica etc ) twice then a hanger swirl. Its obviously very different using darker colors and in my mind the jury is still out on it. What I did like is how the black mica line outlined the orange and the yellow. I like the one I did submit in the entry thread however. View attachment 30347
Wow what a impressive looking soap! Great job!

I'm such a loser! I never got time to give this a go this month. I'm definitely going to do it though since I'm so impressed with everyone's entries! Honestly, you guys have done beautiful work!

Back