May Challenge (Mica Outline Swirl)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

Challenge – Mica Outline Swirl Technique

Hi everyone and welcome to this month's soap challenge ... Mica Outline Swirl Technique.
27018-864e3095fa69c54242e742eaf2af9834.jpg

This is a new-to-me swirl technique that I found in Stephanie Graham’s Micas & More group on FB. Her video is found here:
I am not sure that she is the creator of this idea, merely the source that I found for the technique.
The video I made can be found here:
Written instructions are included in this post.

The May challenge is to make a soap in at least two colors and at least one contrasting colored mica outline swirl. Some of us may find that choosing the right colors to make the swirl stand out to be the bigger challenge than the actual making of the soap! (This girl, right here :) )

You may swirl with any hanger, chopstick, or spoon swirl technique that you like.

You may use more than one color for the mica outline, in different locations.

You must have at least two soap colors.

How to create the mica outline swirl: Mix mica with any liquid oil of your choice. A recommended ratio is 1 tsp mica to 1 TBSP oil, but you may adjust as needed. Mix your batter (separate, color, and fragrance as normal). Place your main batter color in the mold, spread the mica oil mixture over the entire batter surface. Note: you do not need to use all of the oil. Cover the mica oil with accent color soap batter. Repeat spreading mica oil line - You may use a second mica oil color or repeat the first color. Cover with your main batter color. .Swirl using a hanger, chopstick, or spoon, making sure you go through both mica oil lines.

For the entry thread you will need a photo(s) of the mica oil(s) placed in your batter and a photo of your finished soap.

The Entry Thread will open on May 20th and close on the 26th. Voting will start on the 27th and close on May 31st. *ETA to correct dates from April to May*

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)

· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)

· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.

· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.

· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on May 20, 2018 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)

· After the closing date May 31, 2018 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on June 1st or 2nd, 2018. There is no prize attached to this challenge. *ETA: corrected the closing date. Man, I really suck at dates!*

· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.

· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.

· The challenge team reserves the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Attachments

• 20180430_173356.jpg
    20180430_173356.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 146
Last edited by a moderator:
1. KristaY-Fun with mica! I'm excited to see what kind of mess I can make:p
2. Lenarenee - Haven't done this in a long time! ( I used to do this back in my newbie days, just not as well as hers!) Dark/bright mica on white base works best. Reduces lather unless you use oils from your recipe. (one caveat is that I'm on call for jury duty and I'm nursing a knee with tendonitis - that's actually 2 caveats isn't it?)

2. Lenarenee - Haven't done this in a long time!
3. BattleGnome - hopefully I have time, vacation in two weeks

2. Lenarenee - Haven't done this in a long time! ( I used to do this back in my newbie days, just not as well as hers!) Dark/bright mica on white base works best. Reduces lather unless you use oils from your recipe. (one caveat is that I'm on call for jury duty and I'm nursing a knee with tendonitis - that's actually 2 caveats isn't it?)
4. scard- I'm in!

4. scard- I'm in!
5. dibbles - shimmery swirls - ooh la la!

4. scard- I'm in!
6. Artemis - will I have time? Will I have supplies? Stay tuned!

Even if I don't get a chance to enter (I'm learning that this is a BUSY time of year when you have a HS senior!), I'll be watching. We talked about something like this a while back ( https://www.soapmakingforum.com/index.php?threads/65410/ ), but I never ended up trying it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
4. scard- I'm in!
7.Serene - Will ship supplies to Artemis. Let me know what you need!

Ok I have just started to watch YOUR video, got to the color in bowl part and had to stop.

I LOVE YOUR TATTOOS !!!!!! OMG they are just Gorgeous !

Sorry, ok I have to go back and watch the video, just had to get that out before I forgot :thumbs:

I may play the next game you do next month only because I have to get my arse in gear and get stocked up

Last edited:
4. scard- I'm in!
8. Mx6inpenn - I'm in! I've been wanting to try this ever since Steph posted it.

4. scard- I'm in!
8. Mx6inpenn - I'm in! I've been wanting to try this ever since Steph posted it.
9. Cellador- First challenge! I promised myself I would branch out this year and try a couple new techniques.

AMD, Thank you for the challenge. Is it too late to edit your first post to correct the Dates for the Entry Thread and Voting? They say April, but I assume you copied & pasted and missed that edit. No worries, if you can't, I'm sure an admin will be happy to make the change for you if you ask.

Oh, and I was wondering if you have any cut pictures of your soap? ETA: Oops, that's your first picture. Somehow I forgot it was there!

4. scard- I'm in!
9. Cellador- First challenge! I promised myself I would branch out this year and try a couple new techniques.
10. earlene - I plan to start on this one today!

Last edited:
Ok I have just started to watch YOUR video, got to the color in bowl part and had to stop.

I LOVE YOUR TATTOOS !!!!!! OMG they are just Gorgeous !

Sorry, ok I have to go back and watch the video, just had to get that out before I forgot :thumbs:

Thank you! I have a very good friend who does them, she is an amazing artist. She is going to finish my right sleeve in a few weeks, I'll PM you some pics when it's done :)

AMD, Thank you for the challenge. Is it too late to edit your first post to correct the Dates for the Entry Thread and Voting? They say April, but I assume you copied & pasted and missed that edit. No worries, if you can't, I'm sure an admin will be happy to make the change for you if you ask.

Oh, and I was wondering if you have any cut pictures of your soap?

I fixed the dates, thanks! Funny but true story... I copied Figgy's post two weeks ago and have been making the tweaks for my challenge from it, I made sure I changed the dates right away... then last night when I was posting it, I thought to myself "May? No, I mean April. It's April." I had a good chuckle at myself over that.

ETA: The posted picture at the top of the thread is my cut of the soap in the video.

4. scard- I'm in!
10. earlene - I plan to start on this one today!
11. Mommycarlson - I'll give it a swirl!

I made two soaps yesterday using this technique. I watched the videos twice and "read" the instructions, but somehow missed the "you must use two colors of soap". Ooops! Wow, this is messy, or maybe I did it wrong? I used 1 T of oil from my soaping oils, 1 t of mica (for each mica color). It was impossible to keep the mica from going to the sides when I layered soap on top of it. This made for a smearing mess when I unmolded the soap. And inside....well, there was oil in there too, bleeding in little pockets. :) I'm not sure I'll do this again, but here are the two soaps. Top one is scented with All Souls Day from Nurture, it smells wonderful, but looks like it's going to discolor. The micas are Really Red and Nocturnal from Nurture. The bottom one is BRV from Mad Oils, colors are Raspberry Red, Really Red and Nocturnal from Nurture. Both soaps have TD from Nurture as well :)
All Souls.jpg
BRV.jpg

Those are really nice @mommycarlson ! A few tips I forgot to mention:

When I place the oil, I can still see my batter through the mica oil. Kind of like when your batter tips up against your bowl and recedes, you can see your bowl through the batter. I think this will help with the air pockets from oil being absorbed (so to speak) in the soap. I've done this technique three times now and haven't gotten those pockets. The one I did in the video had no oozing when I cut it, although the first two that I did had slight traces, but no pockets on the cut surface.

The other tip is to not spread your oil all the way to the edges. I did in the video because I was nervous (my first soap making video ever!) and not really thinking about what I was doing [truthfully, I was focusing on not shaking and watching my "ums"] but the other two I didn't and had very little oil sploosh up through the batter on the sides.

I really wish I had remembered to take the picture of the oil in the mold while I was doing the video, I think that would have helped make it clear. I'm going to be doing the technique again this weekend and will try to remember to get some pictures. I "might" be addicted to the look of the mica outline, and it's a good chance for me to get a good hanger swirling technique.

thank you for the tips amd. I didn't spread the oil to the edges, but it migrated there when I put the soap on top of it. I even tipped the mold all ways to help keep the oil from the sides like one video showed (before adding the mica and oil) but that didn't help. I'm not sure I'll try it again, who knows, maybe I'll get the urge in the next few weeks :) I do appreciate the tips! And I'd love to see pictures if you do take some next time you try, that would be really helpful!

Back