Masterbatch Micas in Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone masterbatch their mica in oils? Maybe store them in a squeeze bottle with a mixer marble like with TD? If so, what oil do you use?

I am considering mica master batches in jojoba because it is fluid, stable (doesn’t go rancid), and has limited impact on total oils for lye compared to other oils since it is technically a wax. Advice?

I used to do that many years ago (in fractionated coconut oil) but I stopped.

The reason was that no matter what I did, the mica sank to the bottom and was a pain to get properly dispersed in the oil after settling on the bottom. No ammount off shaking was enough to get it properly mixed. It settled quickly, and I tried adding those steel balls thingies, but they were too small to do much help.

So I found that is was much easier for me to mix my batter to just emulsion, separate each part that was going to have color, adding one teaspoon of color on top of the batter and press my stickblender into the color and batter and stickblend in short bursts. My stickblender does not have a large bell, so air just escapes through the sides. It does not take long to get the mica mixed in, and I use a small whisk to do the rest. It depends on the fragrance also, if it slows trace I dump mica and fragrance in at the same time.

But others may have had better luck than me🙂

I've thought about this but have never tried it. I was concerned that sometimes I go long periods without soaping, and that the oils would go rancid.

I do make a pretty good-sized batch of TD in advance, since it is such a pain to mix, and a pain to clean up any spills. Since mine is water-dispersable, I keep the premixed bottle in the fridge to prevent spoilage.

Latest posts

Back