Making liquid soap in the oven - doesn't become jelly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellonet

Reaction score
I'm trying to make liquid soap in the oven. I've used a soap calculator with 50% olive oil, 30% coconut oil, and 20% sunflower oil. I've entered 3% super fat in the calculator, and used distilled water.
I've got a really nice mashed potato after mixing the oils and lye, then I put it in the oven for 6 hours now and while it gets softer, it doesn't turn into the hard translucent jelly I see in other recipes.
The pH level is about 10.10 and when I do a test of putting some of the soap in distilled water, the water stays clear and it forms bubbles.
You can see the picture for how it looks now.
Can you please tell me if I can use this soap and start diluting it? Or any idea how I can turn it into the expected jelly?
Also, when made in the oven instead of crock-pot, what should be the oven temperature? Because I see very different temps in different recipes.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-11-17 at 3.33.18 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-17 at 3.33.18 PM.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 10
Do a zap test, if its zap free then its done.

Have you been stirring it? That can make it stay opaque. My paste takes a day or more of just sitting before it goes completely translucent.

I put the paste in a jar or Tupperware with a tight lid until I get around to diluting it.

The zap test is a really good idea! Thank you so much (also for answering so quickly)! I did mix it quite often, so that might have been the reason.
After I diluted it 20 minutes ago, now I see that it turned into the translucent harder jelly I expected.

Latest posts

Back