Making cp soap with goat milk containing penicillin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Penicillin is a drug, so unless you have a license to prescribe you shouldn't be using it in things that other people will be using. Drugs are intended for certain uses for only the people they are prescribed to for a reason.

I get the impression that the OP wants the CP process to destroy the penicillin. Is the milk from antibiotic-treated goats?

I have no idea what NaOH does to penicillin. There is no way to know the answer to your question unless a person does the chemical testing to learn the facts.

That said, the amount of antibiotic in the milk is pretty small. Enough to prohibit the milk from being sold, but small. If I used this milk to make soap, I'd err on the safe side, however, and not sell or give the soap to anyone. I'd keep it for family use only.

Occasionally my family would butcher one of our hogs that had been treated with antibiotics shortly before slaughter. It wasn't meat that was legal for sale, but we ate it.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned that if the lye or heat does not destroy the antibiotic, that someone could have an allergic reaction to it. So I vote with those who say it should be for personal use only.

ETA: I just read that link you provided, @penelopejane, and someone there made the very good point that most of the tallow and lard used for soap making will also have come from animals treated with antibiotics. Besides not knowing whether the lye kills it all anyway, I don't know whether the concentration of antibiotics is higher in milk than in tallow or lard. All very interesting questions!

Last edited:
I realize some people don't want to consume or use any parts of animals that have received antibiotics for any reason at any time in their lives. I don't want to offend those who feel this way, but I think there might be a little confusion here. I want to explain how antibiotic treatment is used in conventional agriculture.

An animal that was treated with antibiotics some time in the distant past is a different case than an animal being currently treated with antibiotics. There is usually a withdrawal time between the date of last use of an antibiotic and the date when the milk can legally be collected for sale or the animal can be butchered for sale.

The withdrawal time allows the animal's body to eliminate the antibiotic residues. After that time, the antibiotic residue in the milk or meat or body fat should be negligible.

The OP's goat might be receiving antibiotics for an infection of the mammary glands (mastitis) or something like that. Antibiotics are a reasonable and effective way to treat this painful and potentially deadly infection.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I’ve decided I’m not going to use that milk. I wouldn’t want there to be even a chance for anyone to have a reaction from it and I like to be totally open abt my products. And I don’t want to have to tell people there may be some residual penicillin in there. Thx again. Glad I joined this forum!

Latest posts

Back