Lye and kitchen tools

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryse13

Reaction score
I was wondering if u use a pot from the kitchen (stainless steal) for making soap can u use it for regular kitchen use again, for making food?

I have read that u are not supposed to use the pots for food once u have used it for soap making. But I don't understand what the harm is. Does the lye leach into the metal and release when u cook food in it?

I don't know if it leeches the metal (possible since lye is very powerful) but I wouldn't want to even risk it with how poisonous it is. If you are trying to save money by not buying stuff to mix the soap in, check out garage/yard sales or Walmart (if you have one) as their mixing bowls and pots are pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I use for both as long as its glass or SS. It's soap after all and after a run thru the dishwasher I'm fine with it.

You can mix food and soap use with glass and stainless steel. Use aluminum with care (it's fine to melt oils in, but never, ever, get lye near it). Wash everything well.

Don't use wood or plastics/silicones for both.

From what I've been reading it can etch glass but it takes a while to effect stainless steal. I don't know if that means leach into the metal or just clean rust off. My grandma used lye to clean many things back in the day apparently but no one can tell me on what.

Thrift stores are perfect places to find dedicated soap utensils and bowls etc..

Lye is used in some food preperations. So If it is Stainless Steel or glass I will rinse with vinegar and wash then use for dinner.

I got excited about making soap and used a pot that we use everyday. I left it out for the night and washed it in the dishwasher the next day.

I now have a pot for soap making, just picked it up at the thrift store yesterday. I will be using it from now on.

With silicone, is it ok to use as a mold without a liner? How about a silicone spatula?

Silicone doesn't need a liner and silicone spatulas are terrific for soap making.

I don't see a problem using SS for both soaping and cooking as long as you thoroughly wash your implements in between.

Based on what I have seen and some other things based on what I have read. There is no way I would take the risk of putting anything that has touched lye, into peoples mouths. I have seen lye leave white residue on my crock pot and flexible bowls. I have read that lye over time will etch glass and that wooden spoons should also not be used because the wood can splinter.

I even dedicate a metal spoon for stirring lye water and spatulas for everything else. I would strongly recommend going to a good will and getting the "tools" you need from there. They are dirt cheap and you can have things dedicated for soaping and not have to worry about dual purposing that stuff.

I know some people will suggest the dollar stores, I avoid them like the plague for the most part. Unless I'm getting maybe some plastic bowls or something then maybe. But I have had way to many things be garbage after using them. I know they are dollar stores and all but what good is a spatula that flexes WAY to much and cant scoop or scrap anything out of a bowl. Useless, that's all I'm saying. At goodwill, or similar places, you get good working tools for great prices.

Last edited:
I don't know if it leeches the metal (possible since lye is very powerful) but I wouldn't want to even risk it with how poisonous it is.
Actually it's not that poisonous! Caustics are dangerous only at high concentration. Even if a thin layer of lye somehow adsorbed onto the metal and then desorbed into your soup, you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Lye is commonly used to clean the stainless steel containers used in dairies, so how bad could it be for your pots?

Actually it's not that poisonous! Caustics are dangerous only at high concentration. Even if a thin layer of lye somehow adsorbed onto the metal and then desorbed into your soup, you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Lye is commonly used to clean the stainless steel containers used in dairies, so how bad could it be for your pots?

Thanks for the info but I am fine keeping everything separated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I think you meant wooden spoons should not be used crazy 8, the lye does "eat" wooden utensils for sure..I do not use glass with soap making except to measure fragrance. I have seen pics of it shattering on other soapers, not worth the risk. imho

Yes I did mean wooden spoons. Thank you for catching that.;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Soap Making mobile app

It's fine to use most things interchangeably. Spatulas and silicone, definitely not, unless you really like the taste of soap.
I now use seperate utensils, simply because I like different things for soaping than I do for cooking and it's easier to keep them seperate.

Latest posts

Back