Lush. How do we feel about it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapsugoii

Reaction score
I've only discovered this place recently, as I was living in Japan the last few years and the only place I ever saw it was Tokyo. But I was strolling with a friend today and we wandered in. I think it's got a lot of cool ideas in it, but it all seems so... gimmicky? I dunno.

We weren't there for long so I didn't get to read any ingredient labels, but are they truly handmade soaps? And one bar of the "honey I washed the kids" soap was TWENTY dollars! Sweet baby jesus.

We who? Just like anything else there are differing opinions.

Me, I like the Lush concept. Products & scents - some I love and some I hate.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on Lush. I'm not interested enough to check them out.

Soapsugoii said:
And one bar of the "honey I washed the kids" soap was TWENTY dollars! Sweet baby jesus.

Evidently some of their customers feel their soap is worth $20. If Lush couldn't sell $20 soap, they wouldn't have $20 soap.

Anita

Well, they are the inspiration for my soaping start. I love the scents, well most of them. Love the product line, marketing, etc. But I do think that the soaps I make with fragrance dupes are better than theirs. I also think they are way over priced. I don't shop there much anymore. I will purchase something just to see if I like the scent enough to order the dupe and make my own stuff.

Someone found a way to be successful with soap and bath products. If I was creative, smart, savvy and driven enough maybe I could have it done it myself. Good for them! :lol:

That's true, Jen. You have to hand it to them for being creative and successful. And I had a bit of a headache when I left, but the bars were all flippin' gorgeous, I have to say!

Lush was one of my inspirations as I love to be able to touch and smell and I love the way they cut pieces from larger moulds. Also I love their the colours they use ... gorgeous!

There soaps are way too expensive for me, but they must be doing heaps good, as there business always seem to be full of soap and people! Good luck to them ... wish I'd had their idea first! LOL

I was turned off by them after one of their products went moldy and I was told it's still ok to use. I know better then that, but what about the gullible general public?

NancyRogers said:
Well, they are the inspiration for my soaping start. I love the scents, well most of them. Love the product line, marketing, etc. But I do think that the soaps I make with fragrance dupes are better than theirs. I also think they are way over priced. I don't shop there much anymore. I will purchase something just to see if I like the scent enough to order the dupe and make my own stuff.

I feel the same way. The toothtabs are quite nasty though ;-(

i look there for inspiration and product ideas, but i feel like the soap i make is better than theirs on my skin. i adore their bath bombs though. and when ever i buy something it is more of a treat and "research" than anything else. :)

I'm another one who has come across moldy products from them. Not just a little mold either, a lot of mold. Not impressed by the scents. I used handmade soaps exclusively for years before making my own and never would have bought anything from them. Too commercial.

Another mouldy/DOS finder here.
I'm still a fan though. Not so much of their soaps anymore. I think they've lost the whole idea of where they started.
I admire, greatly, their marketing & branding skills.
The whole concept of Lush is good!!
One can dream of such success.

And, my soaps are much better than theirs, I'm not biased or anything :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't see any $20 soap on their website. It's all 6-9 per bar. Could the $20 bars be large bars cut from a loaf on the spot weighing much more than a standard bath bar?

It was a bigger bar, probably 8+ ounces abouts, I'd say. I looked at the price on the package and it was 20 bucks (not the price per lb, too; I checked). I think its one of the more popular ones tho

Lush

I am a junior high/high school teacher, and I know that the girls are VERY taken with Lush. They like colorful, cute products, and interesting packaging. I get a lot of great feedback from my girls :D At a craft show that I did just before Christmas, a couple of young women spent a lot of time and money at my booth and said more than once, "This is just like Lush!" I took that as a compliment. I have only ever purchased one product from Lush - a bubble bar. I liked it well enough. They must be doing something right, because even I spent $9 on that bubble bar!

I was in my very first Lush store over the weekend in NYC...my son was taking us sight seeing and I spied it across the street...course I had to go in....it was dingy and dirty...I picked up items, soaps and bath bombs and smelled some of the scents...some I couldn't even smell...very faint and the product was pretty messy. I was interested in the Honey I washed the kids and Flying Foxes and they didn't smell very good. The staff however were very nice, very knowledgeable and helpful. The one talked to my husband about selling soap on Etsy and how Lush started. She helped me find the Flying Foxes bath gel and explained how jasmine was good for things like pms.
So...I was finally able to say I was in a Lush store! I do have to tell you I finally made a full batch of soap with Daystar's dupe of Flying Foxes and it is pretty nice..so far it's the only one I would soap again.

Re: Lush

KD said:
I am a junior high/high school teacher, and I know that the girls are VERY taken with Lush. They like colorful, cute products, and interesting packaging. I get a lot of great feedback from my girls :D At a craft show that I did just before Christmas, a couple of young women spent a lot of time and money at my booth and said more than once, "This is just like Lush!" I took that as a compliment. I have only ever purchased one product from Lush - a bubble bar. I liked it well enough. They must be doing something right, because even I spent $9 on that bubble bar!

I think they have made it fashionable to buy handmade which can only be a great thing for soap makers. They have opened a whole world of potential customers. It's not just Lavender and Patchouli anymore...if you know what I mean?

I love the feel of their stores and the way they market their product. They inspired me, unfortunatley I only discovered it was melt and pour after I became addicted to CP :roll:

I love their bath bombs and their bubble bars. I love all the colours. I don't buy soap anymore though

Latest posts

Back