How do we feel about glow in the dark pigment?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been amazed by other soapmakers’ gitd soap - and I recently bought some gitd pigment from mad micas. I’m excited to make some Halloween soaps, but I am wary of the warnings. As I understand it gitd pigment is mostly zinc sulfide with a small amount of copper chloride, which makes it glow. It is approved by the FDA for “occasional use”, and not recommended for bath bombs, and not approved for use around the eyes or on lips. Any soap with gitd pigment will be attractive to kids, and I know my 6 yo grandson takes soap into his bath. I am a little unsure about using it at all - I might make a small moon embed - but am curious what others think. TIA.

I got two different ones, Haven't used them yet. Like you, I'm not sure about using around young ones, and I don't really know why I got them, other than I have been a sucker for glow in the dark stuff since I was a child. I remember as a kid, (50+ years ago), there was a "paint on" glow in the dark. It washed off with water, but you could paint on yourself and it would stay until
you did. I'm no chemist, but perhaps it was the same substance, just less supervision, years ago.
I love the idea of this kind of thing, though. If I were sellling, I'd serious consider adding something like this once in a while.

1661562075681.png

I have been amazed by other soapmakers’ gitd soap - and I recently bought some gitd pigment from mad micas. I’m excited to make some Halloween soaps, but I am wary of the warnings. As I understand it gitd pigment is mostly zinc sulfide with a small amount of copper chloride, which makes it glow. It is approved by the FDA for “occasional use”, and not recommended for bath bombs, and not approved for use around the eyes or on lips. Any soap with gitd pigment will be attractive to kids, and I know my 6 yo grandson takes soap into his bath. I am a little unsure about using it at all - I might make a small moon embed - but am curious what others think. TIA.
Good cautionary points, Vicki!
I have not used glow in the dark colorants, but there are at least a couple of soapers here at SMF who have in the past. And this is definitely the time of year to do so. If you are selling, a very obvious warning should be on the label, because there is no way you have any control over who does what with the soap after it leaves you. Well, that's true if you give it away as well.

Perhaps just gear it toward older teens and adults. I am sure there are plenty of adults around who would really enjoy glow in the dark soap for the Halloween season. I'd still recommend a warning on the label to address the issues you mention.

Who takes a bath in the dark?
I think the fun of it is just to look at it in a dark room. Like @Carly B i LOVED gitd anything when I was a kid, and agree Carly - no supervision. When I was growing up we re-used LEAD TINSEL on our Christmas tree. My sisters and I used to rub the tinsel across our upper lips to create cool looking toxic mustaches. So yeah, no, I don’t think gitd pigment was a big concern.
@earlene I am thinking about doing just that, labeling soap with a caution note, but if customers start asking about it I don’t think I could carry on a smart conversation about why it is ok for limited use, if there are any safety concerns. Actually, I don’t even know if there are requirements for labeling gitd soap. (Not saying I would only label if required.) Another research project.

I think the fun of it is just to look at it in a dark room. Like @Carly B i LOVED gitd anything when I was a kid, and agree Carly - no supervision. When I was growing up we re-used LEAD TINSEL on our Christmas tree. My sisters and I used to rub the tinsel across our upper lips to create cool looking toxic mustaches. So yeah, no, I don’t think gitd pigment was a big concern.
I had a little hand held maze, red plastic on the bottom, clear plastic on the top. And the material you had to guide through the maze? MERCURY!!! Holy cow. And my mother had a hot plate made of asbestos.....

We didn't know what we didn't know. But I still love gitd stuff.......

I had a little hand held maze, red plastic on the bottom, clear plastic on the top. And the material you had to guide through the maze? MERCURY!!! Holy cow. And my mother had a hot plate made of asbestos.....

We didn't know what we didn't know. But I still love gitd stuff.......
We used to play with the mercury if a thermometer broke… 🤦🏻‍♀️

Who takes a bath in the dark?
People who's lights go out in a power outage? Folks who light lots of candles around the tub? My granddaughter has been known to put candles all around the tub for a spa-like bubble bath.

@earlene I am thinking about doing just that, labeling soap with a caution note, but if customers start asking about it I don’t think I could carry on a smart conversation about why it is ok for limited use, if there are any safety concerns. Actually, I don’t even know if there are requirements for labeling gitd soap. (Not saying I would only label if required.) Another research project.
Yes, there are rules about labeling any product that can cause harm. It's part of the Consumer Protection Safety Act. Also the FDA has a labeling requirement for it as well: Federal Register :: Request Access

What I would suggest is to just print out the FDA warning and have that to show customers who may ask. It clearly states all you really need to say, but if you want more read this and skip down to the section on safety hazards. Most of those precautions are for working with the substance, which you personally would be doing, so you should probably read it for your own safety. But I would probably print out at least the sections from 10.1.4 (Hazard summary) through 10.2 (First Aid Measures) and keep those at hand to show customers who may ask questions.

People who's lights go out in a power outage? Folks who light lots of candles around the tub? My granddaughter has been known to put candles all around the tub for a spa-like bubble bath.

Yes, there are rules about labeling any product that can cause harm. It's part of the Consumer Protection Safety Act. Also the FDA has a labeling requirement for it as well: Federal Register :: Request Access

What I would suggest is to just print out the FDA warning and have that to show customers who may ask. It clearly states all you really need to say, but if you want more read this and skip down to the section on safety hazards. Most of those precautions are for working with the substance, which you personally would be doing, so you should probably read it for your own safety. But I would probably print out at least the sections from 10.1.4 (Hazard summary) through 10.2 (First Aid Measures) and keep those at hand to show customers who may ask questions.
Thank you! So helpful.

Back