Looking for some natural scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awalker16

Reaction score
I'm looking to do some new soaps such as; a red wine soap, beer soap, and pumpkin soap.

I need help in choosing some natural scents for them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what essential oils would work best for these??

Also any ideas on natural colorants to give my pumpkin soap a nice orange look??

I'm looking to have these ready more so by the fall, I know its early to plan for that, but since I've never made these I wanted to have some time to watch and see how they hold up and how their color is etc.

Thanks!!!

i can't help with the scents, however in terms of natural orange color, you can try annatto seeds. they'll color your soap a light yellow to a bright cheddar orange depending on how much you use. paprika powder will also give you an orange, albeit a more peachy one. good luck!!

I do 2 tsp tumeric and one tsp annatto powder in a 5.4 lb batch and it's a great natural/real looking earthy orange that would be great for pumpkin :)

As far as scents, I use cooking spice scents like cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc. for soaps like pumpkin and beer. You can play up the "pumpkin pie" aspect or the spices often used in beermaking (orange, lemon, vanilla oleoresin, and cedarwood would go well, too, I think).

I've never had the scent of anything natural I've used come through in fully cured soap except honey and even that went away after a good long while. But fragrance suppliers make scents to imitate those you mentioned. They aren't "natural," though.

Back