liquid soap has white foam

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My core problem is I have always viewed recipes and directions as suggestions or guidelines. :) And I had the hubris to start by creating my own recipe
I would never discourage that quality in a soapmaker. However, to save time, money and experiencing failure after failure, I learned, whether in soapmaking or cooking, to make a small batch of a tried & true recipe as written and tweak from there.

I wish I had a recipe to post. I do have notes and progression photos/videos, since the adventure took over 24 hours.
With all due respect, Grasshopper, the problem with not having a recipe to share is that it makes it next to impossible for the rest of us to troubleshoot.

And even if you did post the full 24-hour adventure, with pictures and videos, speaking just for me, I may or may not be able to follow your thinking, much less take the time required to write a meaningfull response and all the reasons why such-and-such is so.

I hope that makes sense? Just imagine being on the receiving end of such a post. 🤔

I can't wait to make more LS.
One curious thing happened while cooking, the batter never changed past the thick custard stage. It was always easy to stir with a spatula. I wish I knew what I did.
Fortune Teller.png
At this point, my crystal ball is useless. So your guess is as good as mine... or anyone else's.

My suggestion: You obviously took good notes. Impressive! Why not make a small (12-16 oz. or 300 - 500g) duplicate of your first batch? Enter all the info into SoapCalc ...starting with the set-up in post #22. (I assume you do know how to use an online calc, yes?)

Before actually making the batch, post the recipe on the Recipe Feedback Forum linked in Post #18 for feedback from the community.

ETA: I just fixed that link so it's working now.

ETA #2: I just reread the original post. Both Top of Murray Hill and Susie were able to make educated guesses as to why the OP's batch looked like it did. They had different solutions. A successful result was reached by the input from both of them. 😉

@DeeAnna The info about using Borax in Posts #4 and #6 is good to know and what I would have responded to your query. Borax has other attributes beyond "neutralizing". I'm guessing that's where @desiredcreations got the idea of adding some.

@DeeAnna I think I understand your challenge -- why neutralize right after adding KOH solution?
... the info ... is ... what I would have responded to your query. Borax has other attributes beyond "neutralizing". I'm guessing that's where @desiredcreations got the idea of adding some.

I really wasn't addressing you, Zany, nor was I issuing a challenge to anyone -- I was simply asking a question and hoping DesiredCreations would explain their thinking. I'd sincerely like to have a conversation directly with this person rather than have you jump in with your guesses about what this person is thinking. But I see you've got the situation well in hand so I'll mosey on.

That is not a safe way to make soap. Please use a soap calculator, or run the calculations by hand, to determine the correct amount of KOH for the specific oils that you are using.
I fully appreciate that. My original recipe was based on using a soap calc. I think my KOH was the main culprit. It was a premix liquid and I only tested to make sure it could float an egg - no precision.

No worries. I had lots of fun and learned a lot thru my mistakes. I learn much better that way. :)

And even if you did post the full 24-hour adventure, with pictures and videos, speaking just for me, I may or may not be able to follow your thinking,
LOL! I'm nearly positive I couldn't follow my thinking.

I think you'll appreciate this. Starting in 2004, I read Catherine Failor's book on making LS, THREE TIMES ! and even made out a "cheat sheet" to follow before making my first batch... which was a total failure!!!
Zany, I am puzzled how it could have been a failure. When my batter wasn't acting according to plan, I figured the ratios between fats, water and lye were off. So like when a washing machine gets unbalanced, I tried shifting the load. I could tell the batter was too fat-heavy, so while it was cooking, I gradually added more lye, then more water. Then, I'd periodically clarity test it. I beat that batter into submission! :)

Back