lip balms? preservatives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to make something comparable to Burts Bee's.. But I noticed that on their packaging they do not list a preservative? is that because one is not included in the ingredients?

what types of preservatives are good for use in lip balms?

Ian lip balms don't need preservatives because no liquid is being introduced into the product. If you want to try something similiar to Burt's Bees use Spearmint & Peppermint EO's for flavour....

Lindy said:
Ian lip balms don't need preservatives because no liquid is being introduced into the product. If you want to try something similiar to Burt's Bees use Spearmint & Peppermint EO's for flavour....
you rock... i had a feeling thats what it was but wasnt sure... im going to look into other EO's to use too.... I wonder if lemongrass EO would be good too? i looooove lemon :)

so i could still add ROE and vit E for an antioxidant but preservative isnt necc. sweeeeet :) just what i wanted to hear :)

ive got plenty of stuff to experiment with :) so gooood stuff :)

sweeet ! thanks!....

Another quick question...

How do you fill them?? I know that there are trays etc.... but how do you get the stuff in there? is there a special instrument?? I feel like I want to get some plastic confectioners icing bags and pipe the balm into it that way?

This was a total experiment for me. I found that keeping the mixture in the double boiler was the most important part. Then after trying a few things, I settled on a medicine syringe. (the kind you use to get your kids to take icky liquid meds) I'm sure there are other ways--but this is what worked for me and what I had on hand. This batch was also perfect for making exactly 25 tubes...the .15 oz size.

I'm hoping others pipe in with how they fill their tubes. I'm hoping to make another batch soon! :D

sweeet... i think a turkey baster will have to suffice for the time being lol its the only thing i have thats even remotely close...

can you tell me anything about flavor oils too?

I find pipettes & turkey basters get clogged easy beacuse the product hardens when cool. I pour the liquid mixture into disposable plastic cups & pinch one side to make a spout. If it begins to solidify before I am done I pop the whole cup into your microwave for 10 seconds. 15 seconds will make the cup melt & balm will run all over your microwave oven.

If you pour too hot your lipbalm will cave-in in the middle soexpect to let it harden & top it of with a bit more to get a level smooth surface.

Tabitha said:
I find pipettes & turkey basters get clogged easy beacuse the product hardens when cool. I pour the liquid mixture into disposable plastic cups & pinch one side to make a spout. If it begins to solidify before I am done I pop the whole cup into your microwave for 10 seconds. 15 seconds will make the cup melt & balm will run all over your microwave oven.

If you pour too hot your lipbalm will cave-in in the middle soexpect to let it harden & top it of with a bit more to get a level smooth surface.

sweeet you are awsome :)

I prefer pyrex if pouring - it holds the heat and so I don't have to mess about with reheating so often.

just remember to heat gently in the microwave.

(I use disposable pipettes, myself)

note to self: buy smaller pyrex measuring/double boiling container with spout.... the one i have weighs like 8 lbs and was a beyotch to be pouring into 4 little lip balm tubes lol

Latest posts

Back