Lip Ivo?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had dinner with a friend tonight who was all verklempt that she can't get her favorite lip balm anymore, something called Lip Ivo. She bought up all the remaining cases she could find
IMG_1222.jpg
. I told her I'd look into dupe-ing it. I can look up what all the ingredients mean, but HMU if you have any experience with this product.

🤨 i have so many questions about this lip balm. Like why would anybody put isopropyl alcohol in one? What's BHA? Are they referring to beta hydroxy acid? If so, which one? Propyl gallate sound like some kind of preservative or antioxidant that might prevent rancidity, but it's only approved to be used at 0.1% and it seems a bit high on the ingredient list.

Looking up the lip balm on Amazon, it seems like people like that it stays on the lips for a long time.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to introduce your friend to good ole lanolin and natural waxes :)

I’d say that the first four occlusive ingredients are what make this remain a long time on the lips without having to reapply as often.

Your formula already has beeswax, so you probably don’t need to add the paraffin wax or carnauba wax. Maybe play with adding some petroleum jelly to your formula to see if that gets you close to what she’s wanting?

I love my own lip balm. The feedback I get from others, and myself, is that it does not have to be re-applied as often as store brands. Mine is basically sunflower oil, coconut oil, and beeswax.
Lanolin is a must for me, especially for winter! It's been a game changer since I've discovered it, i won't use anything without it. I also love adding cocoa butter, i think the non deodorized one is super yummy in lip balm. So far I've settled on 8% but it's been a while since I've tweaked my lip balm formula, i wonder if i could do more.

To each their own, I suppose. So many ingredients in there that I wouldn't touch! Drying, irritating for lips, assoc w/ cancer..
I have no idea what it smells like but is it sweet vanilla mint with a touch of floral/balsamic?
I'd use spearmint e/o as it's gentler on the lips than peppermint and either a vanilla bean infusion in your sunflower oil or vanilla flavor oil if you use that.
I can't do lanolin, it's a major allergy for me, but I do put Cupuacu and Kokum Butter in mine. I just made some today actually. Cupuacu is so creamy on the lips. It's my zero fragrance one w/o essential oils but does have herbal infusions for healing (comfrey, helichrysum, chamomile, calendula, and lemon balm). It heals up winter and allergy cracks in no time! And a small amount of Lauryl Laurate (coconut and rspo palm from Lotioncrafter) adds lovely slip.
But if I had to pick between hers and your 3 ingredient one? Yours sounds better, lol!

🤨 i have so many questions about this lip balm. Like why would anybody put isopropyl alcohol in one? What's BHA? Are they referring to beta hydroxy acid? If so, which one? Propyl gallate sound like some kind of preservative or antioxidant that might prevent rancidity, but it's only approved to be used at 0.1% and it seems a bit high on the ingredient list.

Looking up the lip balm on Amazon, it seems like people like that it stays on the lips for a long time.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to introduce your friend to good ole lanolin and natural waxes :)
BHA is butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), and it appears in so many products because it's a potent antioxidant. The Food and Drug Administration deems BHA "generally recognized as safe," while the National Institutes of Health, says it's "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen".

I can't do lanolin, it's a major allergy for me, but I do put Cupuacu and Kokum Butter in mine. I just made some today actually. Cupuacu is so creamy on the lips. It's my zero fragrance one w/o essential oils but does have herbal infusions for healing (comfrey, helichrysum, chamomile, calendula, and lemon balm). It heals up winter and allergy cracks in no time! And a small amount of Lauryl Laurate (coconut and rspo palm from Lotioncrafter) adds lovely slip.
But if I had to pick between hers and your 3 ingredient one? Yours sounds better, lol!
Interesting, I'll have to remember to try Cupuacu in my lip balm next time. I've seen Humblebee use it a lot so i got some, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I'm way too lazy to infuse herbs, but it's also a nice idea.

Lanolin is a must for me, especially for winter! It's been a game changer since I've discovered it, i won't use anything without it. I also love adding cocoa butter, i think the non deodorized one is super yummy in lip balm. So far I've settled on 8% but it's been a while since I've tweaked my lip balm formula, i wonder if i could do more.
hello
I’ve just bought some lanolin and looking forward to incorporating it into some recipes-
My lip balm is equal beeswax, coconut oil and cocoa butter. How can I add lanolin to this?
Thank you,
I appreciate your advice :)

All I can say is I know what I make keeps my lips from cracking and nothing I ever tried over the counter prevented cracked lips. Mine is simple: for tubes it's beeswax and coconut oil (scented with either virgin coconut oil or peppermint essential oil); for lip pots it's beeswax, coconut oil, and calendula infused raspberry seed oil (with a little lip safe red mica or plain). I keep it in the fridge until ready to use since I don't use preservatives.
Hopefully she will be trying yours before you go to a lot of trouble to dupe the chemical laden store brand. Anything you put on your lips is bound to get ingested, at least a little of it. (Can you tell I'm not a big fan of the mass produced lip balms?)

hello
I’ve just bought some lanolin and looking forward to incorporating it into some recipes-
My lip balm is equal beeswax, coconut oil and cocoa butter. How can I add lanolin to this?
Thank you,
I appreciate your advice :)
You can check lotion Crafter for the recommended usage rate. For lanolin it's 2-10%. I like to use around 1-2%.

Interesting, I'll have to remember to try Cupuacu in my lip balm next time. I've seen Humblebee use it a lot so i got some, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I'm way too lazy to infuse herbs, but it's also a nice idea.
Does the chocolate flavor come through the mix? If so, how/can it be eliminated? I make lavender/peppermint lip balm and would like to try this butter but not if I have to contend with a chocolate flavor. It would not benefit me. Sounds like a great butter though!

Does the chocolate flavor come through the mix? If so, how/can it be eliminated? I make lavender/peppermint lip balm and would like to try this butter but not if I have to contend with a chocolate flavor. It would not benefit me. Sounds like a great butter though!
TIL i learned that Cupuacu smells like chocolate 😅

Does it really?
Haha I have no idea how I became the de facto Cupuacu expert, because just like yours, mine had been sitting in the drawer and it wasn't until @melinda48 pointed out that it smells like chocolate that I actually looked it up and discovered that Cupuacu is related to cacao. So I was really surprised because I had no idea about any of this.

But, challenge accepted, I grabbed a little piece and rubbed it on my lips. No I don't think it smells or tastes like chocolate, color me disappointed. I do think it has a little faint smell of something, but it's very mild and I wouldn't even say it's very chocolate-ey. Whatever it is, it doesn't get up my nose at all when I rub it on my lips, nor does it have any taste.

It does feel creamy though, and now I can see how it would be a great addition to lip balm. I'm not a fan of oil on my lips, and this feels nice and creamy, as opposed to thin and oily.

I'm wondering how it compares to mango butter in a lotion bar. They both have the same melting point. I feel like I'd still prefer mango butter because it's more silky and less greasy, but this is very nice as well.

Thanks yall, for educating me and inspiring me to experiment :p

To me, Cupuacu has a slighty sharper tang to it, than Cocoa butter. On it's own, the smell is too much for me. I usually use it around 10% in my lip balms and I don't smell it in the final mix. It is definitely more moisturizing/creamy than Mango. I use both of them in my skin cream but omit the mango in my lip balm.
I have pretty useless skin so even tomato sauce/citrus will cause cracks/blisters on my lips if i eat it at more than one sitting. My lip balm usually keeps this in check.

Latest posts

Back