what to do with expired lip balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFLinOhio

Reaction score
We had a lot of left over lip balm from BA that we ordered for my parent's 50th anniversary party.
They are 1 1/2-2 years old and now they smell like the sunflower oil has gone bad?
What can we use them for other than personal use?
Can we make candles out of them?

Can we make candles out of them?
Probably not.

I would melt the contents. Weigh the contents. Add as much coconut oil and NaOH as needed to make a nice soap. TIP: Soak the empty tubes in 16 oz. hot water with 1 tablespoon of washing soda. After about 5 minutes, they come out clean as a whistle, ready to re-purpose for another batch.

You can also wash the melted oils, butter, wax in salted water. Cool in the fridge so the fats solidify and rise to the top of the water portion for easy removal. Then soap them.

I have yet to learn how to make CP soap. My biggest fear is the Lye triggering my asthma. I am extremely sensitive to chemicals, fragrances, and scents. They trigger my asthma and I end up having a very bad attack. Usually end up using my nebulizer, and occasionally have to go to the ER/

have yet to learn how to make CP soap.
FREE Guide to Making Cold Process Soap
My biggest fear is the Lye triggering my asthma.
I hear ya! But don't let that stop you from making soap. Lye fumes last for about a minute or so. I wear a Covid mask and turn my face when working with the stuff. As soon as the NaOH or KOH hits the water, the fumes rise up. I hold my breath, give it a quick stir and leave the room, I come back in a minute or so when the fumes have settled down to stir it until it's dissolved. All while wearing my mask. Then I let it sit in the kitchen sink while I prepare my oils. It takes about 20 minutes until it cools to the temp I want for the batch I'm making.

You may want to make it outside or get a special mask for asthmatics? If you have someone handy to make the lye for you, you can have them make it ahead of time. Or have them master batch it for you. ??? Think about it...

I have yet to learn how to make CP soap. My biggest fear is the Lye triggering my asthma. I am extremely sensitive to chemicals, fragrances, and scents. They trigger my asthma and I end up having a very bad attack. Usually end up using my nebulizer, and occasionally have to go to the ER/
I am also very sensitive to fumes and scents of all kinds, although my reactions tend to be headaches or migraines, not asthma symptoms.

So I can't say for sure that this will help your symptoms, but if you use distilled-water ice cubes to make your lye solution, there is no smell of fumes during the making process.

My husband has chemical sensitivities so when I make my Lye Solution, I have the kitchen window open and a fan going behind me. The fumes don't last long and then I put my container (stainless steel) in the sink filled with cold water and light cover.

so from what I'm hearing from you all...if I have my husband master batch a lye solution ahead of time and set it aside for me...there is no smell when it is used to finish making CP?
How long does a masterbatch last?

Thank you so much for answering my questions. much appreciated

@FFLinOhio I don't masterbatch, so I freeze my liquids as @AliOop suggested. There are no fumes and I don't have to wait for the lye solution to cool. Before I started doing this I used this respirator mask with these filters. It works to eliminate any fumes.

I completely understand your concerns about working with lye. I don't even have allergies or chemical sensitivities, but it intimidated me as well for a long time. Masterbatching is a good option and if your husband will make it for you - win-win!

I am also very sensitive to fumes and scents of all kinds, although my reactions tend to be headaches or migraines, not asthma symptoms.

So I can't say for sure that this will help your symptoms, but if you use distilled-water ice cubes to make your lye solution, there is no smell of fumes during the making process.
I second that 🙋🏼‍♀️ I am also sensitive to chemicals, fragrances and scents which is why I put off making soap for years. Turns out, when you freeze your liquid for the lye solution (I have used milks, distilled water and salt water), and add your lye to the frozen liquid, there is really almost no fumes! Maybe a faint whiff if you hold your face directly over the bowl (which I did one time to check for dissolved lye), but I open the window to my left and turn on the overhead exhaust to my stove top to my right and I'm good to go!

so from what I'm hearing from you all...if I have my husband master batch a lye solution ahead of time and set it aside for me...there is no smell when it is used to finish making CP?
Nope...I just opened my jug and took a whiff...no smell at all.

I don't know. The stuff I used last weekend is around six months old. I MB Ready-to-Use...33%. After it cools down, I store it in 1 gallon HDPE jugs that I purchased from my local soap supplier and always make sure to tighten the lid.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. much appreciated
Agreed with Gecko and Dibbles - no fumes at all once the solution has cooled.

So wonderful that your husband will help - yay husband!

Like Gecko, I store my MB lye solution in a jug with a tight-fitting lid. For me, that is a repurposed laundry detergent jug. The longest I've stored mine has been about 9 months, only because I didn't soap for about six months (quelle horreur) while life got super busy. It worked just as well at that point as it did when it was freshly-made.

The only time I've had trouble with MB lye solution, as I've mentioned in other threads, was from letting the storage temperature drop below 65F. Some of the lye precipitated out and become like chunks of ice in the bottom of the jug. I ended up pouring that solution down the drain (great drain cleaner). Now I make sure the temp stays at least 65F or above, and have never had that happen again. :)

I MB Ready-to-Use...33%.
For HP you want to use the Default setting on SoapCalc, i.e., 38% water as % of oils, due to the amount of water that evaporates during the cook.

Default Ounces.png

Also, the amount of lye solution for one batch can be made ahead of time as needed -- without making a large master batch, unless you're planning on doing a soaping marathon. 😉

Just one more thought to add, I mix my lye outside. I used to live in NC and on humid summer days I would use a fan blowing across the bowl and away from me as humidity keeps the fumes hanging around. I live in Idaho now and that’s not an issue. I still mix my lye outside. I warm my oils in the kitchen and take them outside for mixing as I have significant issues with fragrance and don’t want any fragrance smells hanging around in the house. I cure all my soaps in our shop in a temperature controlled room for the same reason.
Sorry none of this helps with your lip balm question. If it was mine I would toss it. I don’t say that lightly as I hate throwing stuff away. I was using evening primrose oil in a face lotion with some pretty expensive ingredients. When it went rancid I realized that it only has about a one year shelf life. 😢 I only make this lotion for myself so shelf life is important. I’m switching to Cacay oil and using it in my hand lotion and will try it in my conditioner so I will be using it quicker.

Latest posts

Back