Lining a soap mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightingirish

Reaction score
Hi guys. Has anyone tried super gluing a Teflon oven liner to a wood mold? Just curious if it'd work. I'd rather do that than line it with freezer paper every time. Thanks!

I was toying with using silicon for the same sort of thing but now I'm looking at using mylar for the same idea.

For what it's worth, I have cut a piece of cardboard to fir exactly the bottom of my mould. I put it in the middle of a the paper and use a finger nail to score the edges, then I fold it over on these edges and it fit's perfectly with very little time invested.

Last edited:
FYI: the oven liner does NOT work! I tried it and the loaf stuck to the liner. I had to take my mold apart to get the loaf out.

Oh no! Is your wood mold the collapsible-type of mold that's built to come apart, or did you have to actually pry it apart? Hopefully it was the former and not the latter!

For what it's worth, all my wood molds are the collapsible-type, and to line them, I like to use either heat-resistant quilter's mylar which I cut to fit (it lasts for years!), or silicone fondant mats (also cut to fit and lasts for years). And sometimes I use bubble wrap, too. It just depends on the type of look I'm going for.

I used to line with freezer paper, which works great, but it became such a hassle for me to have to cut them out all the time. What's nice about the mylar and silicone fondant mats is that they only need to be cut out once. Other advantages worth mentioning are that I can CPOP with them, they are washable, and they last forever. They also peel away smoothly and easily from my soap.

IrishLass :)

What do you use to attach the mylar or silicone mat to the mold?

I'm notating that little gem, it may come in handy, especially since you can CPOP with them.

The bubble wrap idea just sounds way cool.

You can also use those poly 3 ring school binders..the really flexible ones. This link is for dollar tree, but you can pick them up just about anywhere for super cheap.

http://www.dollartree.com/Brightly-Colored-Flexible-Poly-3-Ring-Binders-1-/p342004/index.pro

Or if you dont mind a few wrinkles on the outside of your soap {or you own a planer} you can use trashbags and some tape, or clips to hold the edges back around your mold..

I use a plastic grocery bag for my tester molds and a large rubber band to hold it.

On the same idea as Jstar's, I use those thin, flexible cutting mats sold for use in the kitchen to cut up veggies. I think the mats are made of the same stuff as the school binders. http://smile.amazon.com/CounterArt-...-Assorted/dp/B00337YF7Q?&tag=amazonsmile01-20

You don't want to permanently glue the liners to the mold, by the way. I think that's a bit of a confusing point in this thread. The liners will adhere to the soap, so you will end up removing the soap and liner from the mold, then you gently peel the liner off the soap.

If you need some temporary help to keep the liner pieces fixed in place before you pour the soap into the mold, use Irish Lass' tip about vaseline.

Ditto what DeeAnna said ^^^ (thanks for clarifying that, DeeAnna). There's no way my mylar liners or silicone fondant liners would ever release my soap from their clinging embrace without me first collapsing my molds and then peeling off the liners. For what it's worth, the liners peel off my soap quite effortlessly and nicely, leaving behind a smooth, glassy-like surface on my soap. I should mention at this point that I gel my soaps and use sodium lactate in all my batches (which makes a difference in how easily and smoothly they peel off).

I use those thin, flexible cutting mats sold for use in the kitchen to cut up veggies

Oh my gosh! I have one of those and didn't even realize it LOL...its really long so I can cut it in several pieces....eh, who needs to cut up veggies anywayz :lol:

Try hot laminating pouches.
Works for me, cheep, can be washed many times.

I use it for the pipemold and pringlesmold too, little longer than the mold, no problems pulling the soap out of it.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if some of these thinner plastics (bin bags, for example) and laminating sheets would hold up in CPOP? I'm thinking maybe not, but would be interested to know if anyone does use them in CPOP with no issues

No issues here, I use 80 mic. Becomes pretty stiff after heating in the laminator.

I dont cpop often, and haven't tried it yet, but I would think if you're using a wooden mold and trim the bin bags to where they dont stick up past the mold too much it would work ok..when I cpop my oven is not actually 'on' anymore so its not really hot enough to melt anything or catch on fire.

The laminate should be fine as well since its even thicker.

Don't quote me on it, because like I said, I haven't tried it...yet ;)

Does anyone have pictures of their lined molds? I'm having a heck of a time visualizing using binders and other plastics as liners.

2wdqds5.jpg

2wdqds5.jpg

20kwr9f.jpg

Does anyone have pictures of their lined molds? I'm having a heck of a time visualizing using binders and other plastics as liners.

Lol! Thanks for asking, I was also wondering how to line a mold with a binder! I'm interested in seeing the pictures. Anything that would prevent me from having to line a mold with freezer paper or parchment paper every time! That is tedious.

I'm just wondering...I guess you cut the binder and/or other plastics to fit the mold, so you would cut one piece for the bottom, another piece for one of the sides, another piece for the other side, another piece for the front and another for the back? How do they all stay together and how do they prevent leakage?

Back