Layers joining together with CP GM soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadannii

Reaction score
This could end out being a bit long.....sorry :wink:

Ive figured out that for whatever reason my GM soap is unable to handle going through a gel phase - it used to be fine, but now it wont. Anyways......so Ive been popping it in the freezer after I pour it and everything is back to normal.

So how do I do layers now? If I pour the first layer, by the time Im pouring the second layer, the first is already gelling!! It gels within 2 minutes.

Sooooo......I decided the best and easiest way for me to deal with it is to make soap over 2 days, pour all the first layers and then the next day whip them out of the freezer and pour the second one.

But how do I make them join together and not separate?. Could I use alcohol like with MP layers or maybe just after the first pour run a fork over it to give it better grip when the second is poured?

It is my understanding that CP sticks to CP just fine, even if layers are made several days apart. I haven't yet done this myself but I have read threads on here which cover this topic. Try the search function and type in 'layer' and choose the CP soap forum option. Good luck!

Tanya :)

I have done layers a couple days apart . I did the rough up the top with a fork and sprayed with alcohol Some people say alcohol doesn't help in cp , but that is the way it has worked for me :D
I hope you can post pictures it sounds very nice.

Kitn

OMG, Kitn, I can't take it anymore! I love your knew avatar!!! he's just like, "whatever." just boppin along, stopping for a second to add to a conversation, then, "whatever," boppin along :lol:

is there anyway he can slow down the gel? 2 minutes is awfully quick, geesh. (i don't use fresh GM, I do powdered) i've heard that even putting in the freezer doesn't always stop the gel, just postpones it.

what temperature are you mixing the lye and oils at? You could cool those down and maybe that will slow things down.

And when you say it doesn't handle gel, what do you mean?

Yep, 2 minutes. Im in Aust so the temps might sound a bit wierd - I get them down to around 30-35 degrees celcius which is approx 95F I worked out?
Any lower and they start to solidify.

I use fresh goats milk (I own dairy goats LOL) as well.

It takes a good 15-20 minutes b4 it is gelling properly but it starts at about 2 minutes after I pour it. The freezer idea is perfect, as it overheats and separates almost every time these days if I dont whack it in the freezer.

It IS superquick, but its the most perfect recipe, it makes the most gorgeous GM soap. :wink: Or it might also be how spoilt our goats are too :wink: :wink:

Have you tried doing room temp oils and lye plus mixing to trace in a sink full of ice and water , might slow it down .

Kitn

What is RTCP - Is that Room Temp Cold Process?
ooooo tell me more - is it like whipped soap maybe? Theres a stack of oinfo on google but half the time it all contradicts each other.

And what is Type 2?

I am dying of curiousity now!!

I tried my first batch of Type 2 RTCP the other day. It was very nice and easy. I'm by no means and expert but I can at least tell you what it is. :D

It is working with room temperature lye solution and room temperature oils. This is the base for doing whipped if you want, but you don't have to. You can just proceed as usual.

I wasn't using milk but mine didn't gel at all. I did a 2. 5 lb batch in a plastic slab mold and just left it out. It was perfect.

I'm European so celcius don't bother me but living in the States, I still have problems with pounds and ounces. You think I would know after 10 years.

Anyways, I have done some room temperature and what you do is let your stuff cool all the way down. Probably around 26C. I use powdered goat's milk and what I do is take a bit of the water, mix it and put it in the freezer until it's slushied. I add it to my oils before the lye, mix it real well and then start adding the lye. I don't particularly add it slowly. I know some people add it over 15minutes. I think all in all, I take 2 to 3 minutes to pour the lye in. I've been adding my FO and clay and all that to the oils before the lye so you don't have to worry about anything but pouring it after adding the lye. Pour and right away stick it in the freezer. What you might want to do is pour it at light trace and don't keep going if it's going to start gelling on you so fast.

You're not adding honey right?

Back