Lanolin: Wet-shaver-soapers, please help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapwn

Reaction score
There is no wet shaver that doesn't know about Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap. I am trying to reproduce the benefits of lanolin in a recipe completely different from MWF. The problem is I cannot guess the right percentage of lanolin. I made some experiments but it turns out that the addition of lanoline destroys the lather formation. In other words, the soap lathers better with no lanoline at all.

I decided to make my recipe with 0 superfat and add lanoline to a percentage that will provide the lather all the benefits of lanolin but without destroying it.

Which is this percentage?

According to you which is the right percentage of lanolin in a shaving soap?
Could you try to guess the percentage of lanolin in MWF soap?

Thank you!

I checked the 70 pages of the above mentioned thread and there is no answer to my question.
I found an old post of mine when first used lanolin, and another couple of posts referring to the use of some lanolin without any number of percentage and result.
I also found some completely irrelevant posts regarding lanolin and contact dermatitis.

If you have seen a post that answers the questions made here, please indicate it to me.

If somebody has successfully used lanolin in a shaving soap please suggest me a range of percentages.
If somebody has any idea about the percentage of lanolin in Mitchell's wool fat soap please post an answer.

Thank you very much.

Well FWIW this is the best I could find:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-261097.html

Seems consensus is that it's definitely under 5% and likely under 1%.

That said if you're very keen why not email the makers and ask - I'd tell a bit of a white lie saying you've been recommended their product due to skin issues but have issues with anything with more than around 1% lanolin in it - is their product likely to be ok?

Worst case you've wasted 5mins.

Alternatively you know how high it is NOT, so start at say 1% in small batches and work up splitting the difference to 5% e.g 1st try 1%, if thats ok try 3%, if not good try 2%, if it is good try 4% etc. I reckon it's definitely less than you'd think.

Thank you Nikko!
I think that percentages above 1% are too high. I am afraid that even 1% is high. I wouldn't be surprized if they used 0.3 - 0.5%.
I will try something like 0.5% or even less.

I think you are right to aim for the low end. I will also say that I have found other ingredients to provide the same benefits (skin conditioning, mainly, and a bit of glide) without the fussiness or allergen concerns that accompany lanolin.

I was looking for an older post and found this.

I use 5% lanolin in my shaving soaps and I have no issues with lather or greasiness.

I was looking for an older post and found this.

I use 5% lanolin in my shaving soaps and I have no issues with lather or greasiness.

Thank you LBussy.
I have tried percentage like 5% in an otherwise excellent soap. Lather disappeared :shifty:

Maybe it was something else. I will try to add 5% lanoline in a already cured cream/soap to see if the disaster repeats.

Not wanting to be a absolute horror, but what was this "otherwise excellent soap"'s recipe, and how are you in lathering other soaps? There are a lot of variables there and I know that Lee knows how to a) lather a soap well and b) make a good shaving soap. So let's look at what is going on and find a solution.

How I did this is somewhat longer than can be shared here - but I will be releasing an article soon with all the details.

In general though I calculate 5% each of lanolin and another butter. I create my recipe for a 5% lye discount. I reserve half of the lanolin and half the other butter to add after as a superfat. So in other words my superfat is 2.5% lanolin and 2.5% other butter, but there is 5% total lanolin in the recipe.

In general though I calculate 5% each of lanolin and another butter. I create my recipe for a 5% lye discount. I reserve half of the lanolin and half the other butter to add after as a superfat. So in other words my superfat is 2.5% lanolin and 2.5% other butter, but there is 5% total lanolin in the recipe.

So what happens to lanolin when it is exposed to lye?

According to wikipedia it is not a triglyceride, nor is it a FFA (although, supposedly, raw lanolin does have a small amount of "lanolin acids" which presumably are turned to some sort of salt as a result of an acid-base reaction).

-Dave

SoapCalc gives it an SAP of 0.076 (for NaOH) where it gives Lard an SAP of 0.141. So from that I extrapolate that "about half" of the fats react.

It's an interesting question. I just know "it works for me." :twisted:

necrobump

I look at ingredient lists to try and figure our what their recipe might be. In looking at Mitchell's Wool Fat, I see Sodium Tallowate, but not any Potassium Tallowate? Interesting because there is Sodium and Potassium Cocoate listed. So, is the tallow saponified with 100% Sodium Hydroxide and them added to the rest, or are the ingredient listings not compliant to what's exactly in there?

Latest posts

Back