Label weight question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluecheetah

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just made a few bars out of a heart shaped mold. Each of the bars have different weights. Some are 3.5 ounces and some are closer to 4 ounces.

What do I put for weight on my packaging? This is my first time making bar soaps and I’m unsure of how to label the weight since each bar is different.

If you are handwriting your labels, weigh each one and go slightly under the current weight.
- OR -
What I do: Weigh all the soaps and go slightly under the lowest weight. For example: My t&s soaps average 5.4 - 5.8 oz. I label them at 5 oz.
Soaps will continue to lose weight as they age. I've had some that I've had to relabel after a year or two because they fell just slightly under the labeled weight.
I see you're also in the US so you will need to label weight as:
Net Weight # Ounces (# grams)

The net weight is the minimum weight at the time the consumer receives the bar. I estimate 8-10% loss during a 6-8 week cure. So if one of my freshly cut bars weighs 5 oz, the cured bar might be 4.5 - 4.6 oz. I would sell it as a 4 or 4.25 ounce bar to allow a little margin for ongoing weight loss.

When I design a label, I use one value for the net weight that's realistic for how I make my bars. I also double check the weights when I package. Every once in awhile, a bar doesn't make the grade, so it gets split in two and used for samples, or I sell the bar at a discount.

I had the same question, this helped clarify things quite a bit. My shaving soap weighs 6.2 oz. after a 2 week cure(hot process), I guess I am going to go with 5.8 oz on the label.

Latest posts

Back