Keeping the scents in seasonal soap for next year.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBody355

Reaction score
So I only use cigar bands on my soaps for packaging. I want to keep the scents stronger & was wondering for those who do not shrink wrap, how you keep your scents sticking? I don't get major fragrance fade even after a few months, but I want to save some soaps I made for Christmas time until next year strong. Do you think wrapping the slices I have in saran wrap will work until I need to unwrap them for next year? Just brainstorming. :razz: I don't have room for a million plastic shoe containers.

From experience with saran wrap, I haven't had much luck with it. Although my soaps still smell good after a year, I find that they smell the best if I have left them in a well sealed plastic box for storage. I usually don't mix scents so that I don't get anything migrating - last year I had a mint cranberry soap merger. While both smelled great on their own they where a bit potent together.

I also live in very humid weather so I found that most of my soaps had acquired mold with saran wrap due to the high humidity (we live across from the beach). Thankfully I only lost two loafs from last christmas, it could have been worse.

Perhaps if you live in a place that is less humid and you have good saran wrap maybe give it a go. Let's see what's worked for others...:)

I store mine unwrapped in cardboard baseball card storage boxes (one scent to each box) and the scents hold up great for a year and even more, depending on the FO. Four of my favorite Christmas-type scents that last for at least 2 years (and counting) stored this way are WSP's Sugared Spruce, BB's Cedar & Saffron, Peak's Bayberry, and Peak's Winter Wonderland.

IrishLass :)

I also store each fragrance of soap in a different box so that the scents don't intermingle. The only soap I ever wrapped with plastic wrap were mp soaps, never cp or hp soap. There weren't any problems with the MP soaps I wrapped with plastic wrap, but MP is a different animal. :)

Use a little Cedarwood, or Anise or Litsea in every blend, then I think the smell will stick better.

I have also stored them on a shelf in a paper lunch bag. I stand them in there so there is a little room between each bar and fold the top (now front) of the bag. Takes up less room than boxes. If you are careful, you may be able to stack them, esp if you cut and insert a piece of cardboard to act as a floor. Scents keep well in the paper bags.

Back