just bought my first thing of pinetar...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use disposable dish and spoon to measure it. Put dish with pine tar to hot water to soften it and add it at the trace. Lavander EO slows up a trace, so consider it as you scent. Watch soaping101, she has good tutorials on you tube for pine tar soap. I followed the recipe, it turned our very good. It's about three weeks old now, still quite soft. Can't wait to try it!
Have fun!!!!!

This is not the recipe to experiment with a new recipe or new fragrances. Use a reliable soap recipe, and I also recommend lavender EO. Have your ingredients and mold ready to go ahead of time and close to hand.

Soap really cool -- my lye solution and oils were in the low 70s. Blend your pine tar and essential oils into the oils before you add the lye solution so they are thoroughly mixed. A comment -- I did not see any need to warm the pine tar before pouring it -- I just used poured it into the oils straight from the can. That let me keep my oils as cool as possible. There might be brands that are too thick to pour without warming, but the Bickmore brand I used worked fine.

After mixing the lye solution into the oils, hand stir only -- NO stick blender! I got about 5 minutes to stir the soap batter, so I got the ingredients really well mixed, but you may get quite a bit less time than that.

Don't wait to see a heavy, clear trace before you pour. You want to get everything mixed well but keep in mind this will trace fast when it traces -- you'll go from "warm pudding" to "brownie batter" in a few short moments.

"...Can I use other oils with the pine tar like olive oil or coconut oil? ..."

Pine tar is an additive to a soap recipe. It doesn't take the place of regular soaping oils -- you'd end up with a gloppy mess! :) Pine tar does use a tiny bit of lye, so you do need to include it as part of your oils when calculating the water and lye needed for your soap recipe.

The easiest way to make a pine tar recipe is to use your favorite "regular" soap recipe with your usual superfat % -- just add whatever additional weight of pine tar to it that you want to use. (I used 10% pine tar by weight of oils.) Enter the weights of the oils and pine tar into soapcalc to get the lye and water needed. This method will increase the total amount of soap batter a bit, so use a mold (or molds) that can handle a little more soap batter.

If you need to control the total volume, then use your regular soap recipe but scale the weights of the oils down down until the total weight of the pine tar plus your regular oils is equal to the total weight of oils you normally use. Enter the revised oil and pine tar weights into your soap calculator to get the lye and water needed for the pine tar recipe.

I used 10% pine tar based on oil weight, but the range can be from 5% to 20% or even more. The more pine tar, the softer the bar, especially at first. Mine were a bit soft at first, but have hardened up nicely in 8 weeks. From what I've read about others who are more adventurous than me, the pine tar can cause the soap to stay very soft if you use 20% or more.

I hope that helps!

I have some frozen beer left from when I made beer soap and was thinking of using that as my liquid. I just watched a youtube videoo where she used aloe vera juice. Any thoughts as to using beer as the liquid in my lye solution?

If the beer does not accelerate trace in your recipe, it will probably be fine. I suggest not getting too wild 'n crazy, though -- the pine tar will be plenty challenge enough.

There you go,you got a very nice swirly top too.

Thanks :) It has turned out great so far. Just checked on it.. I'm not very patient lol and its hardening up beautifully. Ohh and the smell! I love it! I did add some fresh bamboo fo. I just couldn't help myself. I added an ounce to my oils and I think it mixed wonderfully with the scent of the pinetar. I can't wait to cut this one!

I want to say a big thanks to everyone for giving me their advice and especially DeeAnna, I came back and reread your advice while I was measuring everything out. I really didn't want to screw this up lol..

Thanks for helping this newbie out :)

Ok, I've got to know, what is pine tar and why do you add it to your soap? I have sooo many things I have to learn still

Pine tar is a nasty, smell black goo that you use on live stock. It is supposed to be good for skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis. It also smells really nice if mixed with the right scents. A lot of people use lavender but I used lilac and its smells heavenly.
2j41vo6.jpg

Thanks Obsidian! Has anybody here used pine tar with success on a skin condition? I have a friend with psoriasis so I'm interested in knowing if its something I should make for her.

Nice soap too. Love the stamp!

Pine tar is a nasty, smell black goo that you use on live stock. It is supposed to be good for skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis. It also smells really nice if mixed with the right scents. A lot of people use lavender but I used lilac and its smells heavenly.
2j41vo6.jpg

Obsidian, where did you get your lilac? Mine is from WSP and it accelerates. So it would not be good to try with pine tar.

Latest posts

Back