Soap Room Remodel Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevolutionSoap

Reaction score
I need some advice on flooring for my soap room. My wife is concerned about the type of flooring we get and how Lye or a Lye spill would affect the flooring.

So I'm thinking tile over LVP or laminate.

Does Ceramic or Porcelain work better? Or any other suggestions besides not soaping so messy :cool:

I have used both types of tile. Ceramic is more affordable and porcelain is more durable. However, for a soap room (unless you are prone to dropping heavy objects) I think either would work. When I took over part of our basement, we replaced carpet with some type of vinyl flooring and it has held up well. I do have a rug that fits in my washer in the ‘slop zone’ because, while I don’t really spill, I can be messy and have some drips and drops find there way to the floor.

Also, how fun to fix up a space for soaping.

We have a tough wood laminate flooring throughout our whole house, including my soap room, bathrooms, kitchen, etc. We choose that over tile because the harder surfaces are really hard on my husband's back, and my plantar fasciitis.

The finish is super hard - it hasn't scratched or dented despite moving heavy furniture, dropping a few heavy things, etc. To date, small soap spatters and water spills have not affected the finish at all. We are aware that if there is a major water leak, or a larger spill of my MB lye solution, that the flooring could be damaged. We bought plenty of extra so that repairs could be made if needed.

Laminate wood flooring throughout the entire upstairs including kitchen and LVP flooring in the downstairs. Both have done well because I do drip.😉 I really like the LVP though, looks great, water-resistant and low maintenance.
We also have extra flooring just in case.

Hi, cement cellar floor, with interlocking foam squares. In front of work counter.
Foam really helps. But for a regular interior room. I would go linoleum. over your sub floor. Vinyl based, no seams, washable. And inexpensive to buy. How big an area. Are you looking at covering?

Latest posts

Back