It's all so insidious

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
It started with a curiosity. I'm not a soaper .. I work with plaster and concrete. But then there was this plaster project that required a special soap. A very expensive, special soap. So I started to investigate and decided that soap wouldn't be hard to make .. I would make my own.

I bought the supplies required, including potassium hydroxide BUT low and behold the sneaky company sends you free *SODIUM hydroxide* and therein lies or should I say LYES the crux. What exactly does one do with different lye? Well make a different kind of soap of course!

But then you need just one more ingredient and maybe a mold and some help from people who give you more ideas ... and ... and ... and ... 9 batches of soap later the free lye has all been used but there are still all these other ingredients .. so ..

*** I ordered more lye!!!! *** ARghhh!!

It's a trap I tell you. An insidious trap!

Every time I see you post I want to make fun and ask how your poor neglected plasters are going. I had to write an instructional paper for an English class.

Yup. I wanted to make soap for my daughter with the sensitive-eczema prone skin.

Would have been cheaper to keep buying from CP soapers. Oh well. It's fun.

Every time I see you post I want to make fun and ask how your poor neglected plasters are going. I had to write an instructional paper for an English class.

LOL .. my excuse is .. it's winter and too cold! Although I've got some new ideas cropping up now that the weather is warming.

Can't wait to try out my Tadelakt soap on them.

trap.jpg

hilarious! i'm with seven, had I known this was so much fun, and not as scary or difficult as some would make it, then I would have done this a LONG time ago!

How large was your free sample that it lasted 9 batches?!

They sent me a total of 15oz. 2 of those batches of soap were the soft soap I need for Tadelakt plaster but 7 batches of hard soap with the free lye.

Enough to get a person full on addicted. :Kitten Love:

ETA: I NEVER used to use soap because my skin is so incredibly sensitive and commercial "soaps" really irritate me. Now I'm using my own soap and good grief I'm using 3 different types every time I take a bath. One to exfoliate, one to moisturize, one for my face ... LOL .. it's crazy and I'm really, really hooked. Poor soaps aren't even cured properly and I'm testing them out.

Last edited:
Lol. I never used commerical bar soaps either as I found them horrible for my skin. I got into homemade CP soap for my skin when I became allergic to my hypoallergenic body wash and moisturizing cream. I was covered in rash on my limbs, it looked horrible and was slathering on tons of steroid twice a day and still scratching myself raw. I posted venting about it on my german shepherd forum and a bunch of people suggested handmade soap and stuff like shea butter. The stuff my dermatologist gave me samples of or told me to buy wasn't doing much to help anyway and was CRAZY expensive. So I started using straight vegetable oils to moisturize, and found a site that sold unscented handmade CP soap. Once my skin recovered I tried some of her soaps scented with essential oils, some of which didn't affect me some of which did. Fast forward a couple years and finally started making my own. So far I've only done one scented one and its not for myself, was a christmas one. I'd like to do some scented ones but I don't have the money for it. I wouldn't use FOs for myself, and couldn't afford them right now anyway much less EOs. I had to use up half my bottle of peppermint oil for the scented christmas soap! And that was only about 1 lb of soap. Oh, and btw no rash these days and I rarely need to use the steroid. I also don't shower every day though, and don't even use soap all over with every shower. Most showers I just wash underarms and privates.

This is a hilarious thread. My addiction started because I was a semi-"prepper".... wanting to teach myself basic survival skills. (I figure if I'm going to starve I might as well smell good doing it!) Next thing I know I'm perfecting my peacock swirls and column pours. Yeah, that'll be useful during the "zombie apocalypse."

Last edited:
They sent me a total of 15oz. 2 of those batches of soap were the soft soap I need for Tadelakt plaster but 7 batches of hard soap with the free lye.

Enough to get a person full on addicted. :Kitten Love:

ETA: I NEVER used to use soap because my skin is so incredibly sensitive and commercial "soaps" really irritate me. Now I'm using my own soap and good grief I'm using 3 different types every time I take a bath. One to exfoliate, one to moisturize, one for my face ... LOL .. it's crazy and I'm really, really hooked. Poor soaps aren't even cured properly and I'm testing them out.

Yep...I have 5 different bars going in my shower right now.

I currently have 4 going in the shower, and one I did last night I can't hardly wait to try...my 1st coconut milk {yay me}

I'm such a hopeless addict...:-D

Back