Orange Watermelon Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

Summer is here in Switzerland, and I could not resist buying a watermelon šŸ‰
Needless to say, it was a bit too much to eat all on my own, and so I decided to try and make soap with the leftovers.
To my surprise, watermelon juice creates an absolutely amazing shade of orange!

IMG_8534.jpeg

This I unmolded this morning, so usually it gets even darker with time!
Hereā€™s how I did it:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ingredients:
Watermelon juice (65 g)
Watermelon purƩe (30 g)
Salt 1/4 tsp
Sodium hydroxide (35.5 g) 5% SF
Coconut oil (60 g) 24%
Olive oil (180 g) 70%
Castor oil (15 g) 6%
Procedure:
  1. remove watermelon seeds. Blend into a pulp (use maybe 3x watermelon weight needed)
  2. With a sieve, strain apart juice from pulp. Aggressively squeeze pulp so itā€™s as dry as possible.
  3. Let juice sit in fridge overnight (keep pulp there as well).
  4. The watermelon juice will start to separate into water on top and more watermelon particles on the bottom; as delicately as possible, pour out the top layer of water so that you only use the darkest juice
  5. Weigh out required juice, add salt. Add sodium hydroxide. Should turn a dark red/orange.
  6. Add hot lye to still-solid coconut oil, so that it melts. Add olive and castor oil.
  7. At whatever point, add pulp.
I couldnā€™t say for sure what steps are critical to obtain that shade of orange, itā€™s my first attempt, but I am so happy with the color šŸ˜Š
I based the soap recipe off of: Baby Carrot Soap
When I actually used carrots though, it was barely darker than normal soap color.
I think it should be good as a face soap šŸ˜Œ

Last edited:
Hi all!

Summer is here in Switzerland, and I could not resist buying a watermelon šŸ‰
Needless to say, it was a bit too much to eat all on my own, and so I decided to try and make soap with the leftovers.
To my surprise, watermelon juice creates an absolutely amazing shade of orange!

View attachment 72951
This I unmolded this morning, so usually it gets even darker with time!
Hereā€™s how I did it:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ingredients:
Watermelon juice (65 g)
Watermelon purƩe (30 g)
Salt 1/4 tsp
Sodium hydroxide (35.5 g) 5% SF
Coconut oil (60 g) 24%
Olive oil (180 g) 70%
Castor oil (15 g) 6%
Procedure:
  1. remove watermelon seeds. Blend into a pulp (use maybe 3x watermelon weight needed)
  2. With a sieve, strain apart juice from pulp. Aggressively squeeze pulp so itā€™s as dry as possible.
  3. Let juice sit in fridge overnight (keep pulp there as well).
  4. The watermelon juice will start to separate into water on top and more watermelon particles on the bottom; as delicately as possible, pour out the top layer of water so that you only use the darkest juice
  5. Weigh out required juice, add salt. Add sodium hydroxide. Should turn a dark red/orange.
  6. Add hot lye to still-solid coconut oil, so that it melts. Add olive and castor oil.
  7. At whatever point, add pulp.
I couldnā€™t say for sure what steps are critical to obtain that shade of orange, itā€™s my first attempt, but I am so happy with the color šŸ˜Š
I based the soap recipe off of: Baby Carrot Soap
When I actually used carrots though, it was barely darker than normal soap color.
I think it should be good as a face soap šŸ˜Œ

Wow, I LOVE that! Beautiful shade of creamy orange!

I wonder what the longevity of this as a natural colorant will be?

Please post again in a month, as well as a couple of months & several months down the road so we can see what happens with this soap :)

Wow, I LOVE that! Beautiful shade of creamy orange!

I wonder what the longevity of this as a natural colorant will be?

Please post again in a month, as well as a couple of months & several months down the road so we can see what happens with this soap :)
I actually got an identical shade of orange with some ā€œtangerineā€ mica, but definitely the watermelon juice is more fun!

I actually got an identical shade of orange with some ā€œtangerineā€ mica, but definitely the watermelon juice is more fun!
As I don't use any mica's, only plants, spices, herbal infused oils & similar things for my products, watermelon is an excellent option for me :)

Thanks for sharing the soap, it looks amazing ā¤ļø

Update! I couldnā€™t resist making more!

Hereā€™s a 100% babassu with 20% SF:
IMG_8910.jpeg

I think it can now officially be marketed as ā€œMelon Soapā€ without specifying which one šŸ˜…

Then I made salt bars:
IMG_8913.jpeg

The soap curing in the cellar is maybe not as vibrant as when it first came out, but itā€™s still a melon colored orange šŸ˜Š

View attachment 73519

I think it can now officially be marketed as ā€œMelon Soapā€ without specifying which one šŸ˜…

Then I made salt bars:
View attachment 73520

The soap curing in the cellar is maybe not as vibrant as when it first came out, but itā€™s still a melon colored orange šŸ˜Š
Gorgeous soap! Just want to add how much I love the way youā€™ve used River rocks as the background in your pictures.

View attachment 73519

Then I made salt bars:
View attachment 73520

Wow, what an absolutely gorgeous color! And where did you get the mold for the top soap?? I LOVE THAT! ā¤ļø

IMG_8950.jpeg

And here are the melon soaps done in the log mold. Itā€™s the same base oils as the first oval ones, but these turned out darker. The orange on top and bottom are just with the watermelon juice, the cream is wmelon with TD, and the red is wmelon with madder root powder. I think if the orange melon base is a little lighter, and you add a little more madder root, it should actually look more like watermelon color.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back